Problem with Slick Revolution/iWonder Cloud Wheels (SERIOUS)

What if they came with a Kegel core?

6 Likes

Thank you very much again for the kind donation bro!

5 Likes

Really liking the new studio setup, looks profesh bro.

3 Likes

I think you woud also get a semi pneumatic effect. When the wheel compresses against the ground, the air in the lower pockets will compress. The open celled foam might baffle the air so that the air moves more slowly from the compressed pockets to the uncompressed pockets. So i suspect the deflection of the urethane would be supported by some air pressure and air flow dampening.

I like all the safty precautions that you took to cut the wheel. A less cautious person would have lost fingers in the process.

4 Likes

Thanks dude, trying to step the game up a little.

@pkasanda yeah I agree mate, I was more pointing to the foam doing nothing, it’s just there to support the thane as its poured I think? It’s not active in the damping I feel.

3 Likes

Open celled foam can behave differently when it is sealed in an air pocket. Consider the foam filled inflatable camping mats that you can buy at costco. The properties are completely different when the mat is deflated vs inflated. You can really feel the damping when the mats are inflated. When the mat is deflated, there is no dampening. If you punch a deflated mat your fist would hit the floor. Not so when the mat is inflated. The impact of a fist is absorbed, displaced and dampened.

I’m also not sure that the foam is there to create the air pockets during the molding process either. The foam looks too light. I think it would be crushed by the weight of the urethane. I think it is more likely that the urethane is poured and cured well before the foam is added.

I like your science and exploration, and I think your first theory was a reasonable one. But the first theory often needs to be modified after some consideration.

2 Likes

I had this theory too, the rounded cells are too perfect for the foam to form them. More likely its injected after.

In a controlled space id think that foam is more rigid than you give it credit for. But ya not much. It more of a last mechanism to prevent the rounded cells from collapsing fully under riding conditions.

2 Likes

I concur

3 Likes
1 Like

Got my ownboard clouds, they all arrived ok. No cracks. Unfortunately couldn’t use the included pulley so I’m running my 36t with plenty of torque still. Probably going to end up selling the stock pulleys if anyone’s interested.

3 Likes

One thing I will add…

Stock bearings are a a VERY tight fit. Swapping to zealous bearing and the fit is so much better. Wondering if this was contributing to the core issues?

3 Likes

I do think it played a parr. Keep your eye on them.

1 Like

I found the same thing. But in the interest of testing process, I used the provided bearings and was just careful getting them into place.

I’m leaning toward thinking these bearing are a big issue. They don’t spin that buttery either. With how tight they are, they could be getting warm and expanding a bit too causing even more stress. Any word on what bearings the cracked cores were using?

I thought about your idea before, but it was wrong

I don’t think that because of a crack, that make us silent and no longer discuss.However, we should discuss more. (Regarding RS, I have arranged our after-sales service staff to contact him)

1 Like

We appreciate that, and we’ll try to be reasonable and honest as a community. Everyone involved wants this to work out, because this is a great product from a ride quality standpoint.

2 Likes

For record purposes, I crashed the new discovery cores a couple days ago. The board got launched up a curb post crash. No cracks found.

4 Likes

Any cracks in Penguin?

6 Likes

After @Lee_Wright opened up the Cloudwheels to examine the structure - perhaps the shearing / tearing forces non evenly distributed around the outer core ring between the foam parts (no structure) and urethane parts (structure). Most wheels have the entire outer core ring enveloped with structural material. These constantly uneven shearing / tearing forces could be contributing to the cracks and tears for the abec core.

I believe if you used the same core and material (whether black or transparenty) and cast normal urethane fully around it, it would hold up with no issues.

2 Likes