Problem with Slick Revolution/iWonder Cloud Wheels (SERIOUS)

Yeah, you did a good job of outlining the differences already.

3 Likes

Well, put about 20 miles on em today, little mold line hanging in there. Much easier to inspect for cracks now that itā€™s clearā€¦

Hereā€™s 20 minutes of video from today you can bore yourself with on the new core wheels if youā€™re curious how Iā€™m testing them. Featuring my keychain.

7 Likes

Great video,man. any problem?

2 Likes

What are you using for pulleys?

3 Likes

No problems yet. Although I thought it would be cool if you offer these in a stone ground version, where the center thread is ground flat for better contact patch out of the box. Brand new the traction is very bad, I overshot a few corners from sliding. They take about 50 miles before they start to feel goodā€¦

@rafaelinmissouri BB press fit clone pulleys. They have very short arms going into the core, they grab maybe 1/3 the width of the core, so they should be putting some significant torque stress into the core spokesā€¦

2 Likes

I love you @hide!
:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

4 Likes

Thank you so much, me too!@kook :joy: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Agreed that @Hide is the funniest man in the thread.

2 Likes

@BluPenguin I have a little torture test if you are up to it. Can you put the wheels in the freezer overnight and then go for a rough ride. Maybe not right away but before your testing is done.

Iā€™m not wishing for the cores to fail. I just recall that the most beat up looking black plastic cores had been riddenin the winter by a heavy rider on rough roads. I think he also used a bolt-on pully so it was not possible to isolate the temperature from the effect of the bolt-on pully.

So I think the freeze test could give alot of confidence if the core is unaffected by the test.

Also, how heavy are you? Can you carry a large rotweiller for the next ride. Use one of those baby packsacks or nursing slings. Share the video please.

3 Likes

Yes, I can try this no prob. Maybe fridge, thatā€™s slightly above freezingā€¦ Freezer is like -18C, idk if thatā€™s too cold or whoā€™s riding in that temp lolā€¦

Bout 180lbs (81kg) with all my gear on. Board weight about 36 lbs (16kg)

This is gonna be a hard one as I do not know where or how I would come into possession of one of these, nor would I think itā€™s a good idea to take a live animal to such high speeds while holding itā€¦ Alternatively I could just put some random heavy things in my backpackā€¦

5 Likes

How fast were you traveling in that video. It looks like it was 50 kph or higher. What are you riding?

2 Likes

I tend to hold close to top speed on straight sections, which on my gearing comes somewhere between 65-70kph on flat groundā€¦ Itā€™s on my DIY Evolve CGT deck

3 Likes

Thatā€™s fast. Iā€™m speechless.

So if you do another video, I have a two suggestions for consideration:

1. A camera outrigger to get POV footage of the wheels. Something like this:

1. Some footage riding over sidewalk expansion joints. Also transitioning the curb where the sidewalk ends and the pavement starts.

That type of footage could be a big help to I-wonder. Its something they could use on their facebook page to inspire confidence in the new core.

pk

2 Likes

For entertainment. I put the left front and rear wheels in my beer fridge, thatā€™s set at exactly 0C. Will leave overnight and ride em in the morning. If the left side cracks but the right doesnā€™t then weā€™ll have a suspect.

Iā€™m still working out how to mount a camera to the board, my last attempt did not pan out

This mount whipped the camera housing bracket right off, need to do another mount on the deck with some vibration dampening of some sort, but coming soon :+1:

6 Likes

That Thomas guy seems like sawyers ghost account.

2 Likes

The best part is he didnā€™t even use pictures of actually cracked wheels, nor the right wheels for that matterā€¦ What a kook that guy lol

6 Likes

Beer fridge looks good. Just donā€™t try to drink the iwonders or ride the beer.

Since you mention vibration dampening for the outrigger, here are a few ideas. I use 1/4 inch rubber flooring to make a sandwich (aluminum, rubber, deck, rubber,outrigger, rubber, aluminum)

The outriger supports a 1/2 inch vibration pad sandwich (aluminum, rubber, outrigger, aluminum.

3 Likes

@Hide I e-mailed sales@i-wonder.cn about my cracked wheel. Was this the correct e-mail address?

@landonkun

@Hide posted this previously

4 Likes

Much appreciated! I mustā€™ve missed it.