Powerful RKP street board, anyone else interested?

Hi there, just randomly asking so I feel less alone with the kinda board I am looking for. After owning an Exway X1 for a year I upgraded to a Hurricane, but was missing the responsive carvy yet stabile ride feel of the X1. Changed the DKP to TKP (Zeus Setup), made it a bit better, but the carving still isn’t what I am looking for, even after trying all sorts of Riptide bushing setups. Next step for me would be to convert to RKP, so let’s see.

Long entry here. Point is, think I would like the power (Torque+topend)of the Hurricane (or Zeus) with a slightly smaller wheelbase than the Zeus, something around 11 or 12 kg (which would help with agility?) with a CNC’d RKP Setup to be used with street wheels (max 120) exclusively. I know the recent trend in prebuilts is 2-in-1, but maybe one of the known manufacturers might consider building something of a ‘street weapon’. Something like the lovechild of the SheheEV Polestar that was recently published, and the Zeus Pro.

So, am I alone with wanting a superpowerful RKP board street-only board with less then 12kg (and a VESC, if possible :P)??

I mean, I’ve done this, but on a shortboard. If you want a full longboard deck its gonna weigh a bit more. Note, my battery is smaller too, but since im running a vesc my overall wattage is actually higher than the hurricane’s larger pack.

1 Like

I don’t prefer those, but I do prefer a superreliable RKP street-only board, less then 12kg

3 Likes

@longhairedboy is working on a production board setup. Defiant board society.

Seems it could check all the boxes

5 Likes

It’s true. Defiant Board Society is building a urethane based gear drive street board, 12S5P p42a pack, storm core 60D, Hoyt puck, davega for the dashboard, boa wheels, adjustable baseplates, Boardnamics designed trucks and drives. We’re hoping to have a few ready for immediate sale around Halloween. I’m in the process of building out the boards now. Comes in around 35 pounds and is about 46" in length. Wide stance, drop, flexible deck, segmented enclosure, slight camber and a very soft w-cave.

I had a female friend of mine ride the prototype (which is on belts atm, but the motors are arriving today so it will be on gears this afternoon) who is enamored with my flux build and she said the deck we designed takes away her hate for urethane, which says a lot. She’s also a snowboarder so she likes longer bouncy decks.

most likely put the price tag right at $3k.

edit: I should just get my vendor account started with a build thread this afternoon when the motors arrive. Building 100 boards is worth making a thread about. god knows I have enough stuff to post.

19 Likes

Sounds nice, gotta say, even though it is not in the category I was trying to find out MAYBE exists (in the prebuilt market, I mean). My hypothesis for the “below 25 pound board” is the agility that I think can not be compensated for with boards of a higher weight. That, ofc, is an assumption taken from no-real-base, other than my experience and maybe ride feel of sports cars in different weight classes. So correct me if I am wrong there, or maybe not. Because even though it is “acceptable” to carry a 35 pound board, it is not right for a daily rider, whereas 25 pound feels (again!) like just the right weight (upper limit, ofc) for that.

Sorry to have my focus on this particular ´product´ here, but while there is for sure a niche in the market for what @longhairedboy has to offer (I want this thing already!), I am sure there must be an even bigger (?) niche for the board that I tried to describe very briefly (very, I know).

you’re basically describing a hadean. Have you tried one?

Yes, what we’re building is a longer range cruiser with adjustable carving characteristics, not so much a super portable carver.

1 Like

RKP is the best way to get good carving. TKP are trash when it comes to carving or at least I think they feel like trash when trying to carve.

You should check out the Waterbourne surf adapter. Their adapter + RKP = amazing carving. Only “issue” is that you will have to learn to deal with steering that responds to the road surface. As in when you hit a bump or a rock the adapter will turn a bit. Once you get used to that it is stable at high speeds yet you can still carve all you want, or at least until you end up draining your battery.

My build is around the weight you want currently with it being slightly under your goal weight. That is with a 10s5p battery pack and currently just an ling-yi esc although once I get an enclosure put together for my FESC it should still weigh the same. New enclosure is plastic while the current ESC enclosure is aluminum. I’m also still running my hub motors but once I switch to belts it should only add maybe 2 pounds extra?

1 Like

Hmm, well I haven’t ridden it (but surely have an opinion on it nevertheless haha) … But as I tried to explain: I am looking for RKP, for a more linear carve than DKP delivers, and a board with a slightly shorter wheelbase than the Zeus (or the Hadean), but a bit larger than the SheheEV Polestar (mentioning it because it comes close to the Idea, but missing a few inches and mph and Wh)… and, again, RKP, importantly. Something that in general will be running 105mm wheels(Momentum, MADesk) as a baseline.

It kinda think that maybe the same will happen to esk8 (prebuilt market, ofc) as to what happened with cars, when SUV’s got invented: that the average car has grown in size (and power) in each category. That trend was already existing, but it increased with the invention of SUV’s. So, basically just waiting for those blown-up street boards here :slight_smile:

Anyway, keen to see what you are building!

2 Likes

I see these are qualities that are needed to provide meaningful demand and achieve production.

the smaller the board the smaller the demand rule seems to pop up in esk8.

1 Like

I agree with you, but have you at least tried DKP front and RKP rear? It’s a lot better IMHO than DKP all around, and feels unique.

2 Likes

Makes me kinda wanna try DKP front/TKP back now, just for curiosity, and because a Hurricane motor gave up after installing the 100a ESC (and after 4000kms total), so riding with one motor at the moment Might as well try something ‘useful’ while my acceleration is non-existent. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

TKP is closer to DKP than to RKP

2 Likes

Hoyt St EL2 fits what your describing probably best.
Super sexy and I heard its soon to have cnc trucks.

A hummie/tb40 build could also fall in this category

2 Likes

Yeah, had a look at those before, but I prefer the snowboardy (deep, long) carves to the surfy (quick, short) ones… Higher speed carving is the most interesting area for me here, as carving below 20mph ain’t tooooo bad with the TKP’s, it just doesn’t feel right at higher speeds for me.

Yeah, looks sleak, but I just really need (want!) the torque/vmax of the Hurricane (100a) with whatever board will be next, now that I got used to it.

Pardon my ignorance but if that is the case, why do the fast cruisers like Lacroix or Flux use channel trucks then?
Are channel trucks better for stability at higher speeds but not very agile at lower speeds?
After my current (first) hummie build with RKP I thought that the next (better) one is going to be a Fluxmotion with channel trucks.
And my goal was always stability up to 50-60 kph (if I ever dare to get there​:joy::joy::joy:)
Am I thinking on it correctly or should I be pointed to a specific thread to be educated?
Damn it’s hard to decide without trying it first hand…

Channel trucks are for completely different decks.

Obviously! I can understand how they wouldn’t work on a flat deck. But is that the main difference? So I should imagine that channel will be similarly stable and agile as RKP?

1 Like

Had another look, really like the board. But judging by the bottom of my Hurricane, i should stay away from pretty boards.

1 Like