Power Traverse - electric snowboard

You’re saying what I think we’re all thinking

1 Like

What’s the green material they use for the traction? (The piece that turns and has the metal claws attached to it)

2 Likes

Pedrodemio - Seems spot on.

Working to add torque and reduce weight, diameter without losing surface area.

I want to try a different controller, can’t get the amps out of what we have.

UPDATE:
updated to the 3500w stator.
Needed to machine a new case due to longer magents.
No more saturation but seems not enough current/torque.

If I push start it she spins like a banshee.
I added wire between the motor and controller, could this affect output?

1. Going to try ebike controller designed for the motor.
  2. Try Trampa 100v controller
  3. Alt design in progress. Reduced parts, size, rotating mass.
  4. might mold paddle directly to the 1200w hub.
3 Likes

Are you running sensored?

1 Like

Yea, sensored. Tried BLDC too.

not enough torque to start on astro turf.

I am thinking to try my old VESC and short cables.

Lost torque when I changed controller and added super long 8AWG motor to esc wires.

Imgur

Try keeping one independent variable.

If you use the old controller with the super long 8AWG phase leads, did you lose torque?

This helps determine whether it was the ESC change or the wire change that cause the end-result.

4 Likes

As someone who lives in North Dakota this would be a god send. Do you have any testers who will be testing on harder snow like we get here do to it being wind blow and the super cold temperatures.

1 Like

You would probably need heaters for the batteries, and a bad ass ESC…

1 Like

As long as you’re not charging the batteries while cold, they should be okay. They heat up on their own while discharging.

Just let them sit for an hour before you charge them, if they’ve been outside while not being discharged.

2 Likes

Thinking the controller is the issue or at least it’s not detecting properly.

Need to try and detect the motor with another controller, ordered an e-bike controller designed for the motor to compare. Hopefully, I can detect with the 4.20 it seemed to run better with that setup than the Flipsky 75/200.

1 Like

hey dude can you tell me what you think of these ideas:

also I am wondering if you could take a track like this size or a tiny bit smaller, and put it in the middle of a board split in two (was thinking some kind of custom board wider in the middle and a hole or it could be a heavily modified normal snowboard) Then it would have to be on a caster type offset rotation bearing to act like an electric freeboard.

maybe that makes sense, instead of making an electric snowboard, make an electric snowboard snowboard. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Trying to make a simple as possible. less is more to a snowboarder. Nobody wants a trailer behind their board. They simply want propulsion… The patent only covers a paddle wheel :wink:

1 Like

is the idea that a paddle can be slid sideways in the snow?

I feel like I actually have some good motors for this. too much torque…

You could try one in the front and the back, or as i already talked about on either side. Symmetrical!!

Keep in mind that most generic/cheap ebike controllers DO NOT regulate motor current and only regulate DC current from the battery. This leads to the experience of massive starting torque(controller just dumps as many motor amps as possible) and then reduction of torque and limited top speed due to the DC current regulation. This is also why these kinds of controllers typical do not last long and are prone to failure since the unregulated motor current causes massive transient voltage spikes and also stress the motor out.

I’ve already experienced several customers that have a mistaken perception of the relationship between current, motor torque, and several other system variables due to the fact that their only previous experience are with these unregulated cheap/generic ebike controllers. Don’t fall into the same trap.

8 Likes

@shaman I tried to get some FOC numbers out of the old controller since it seemed to work.

Once I wired the old controller to the new motor and flashed it. It seemed to detect it with a super smooth detection.

After it detected I adjusted the rest of numbers and the TORQUE was back no cogging. :slight_smile:

It was either the Fing controller or the long phase wires. Going to try the controller directly to the hub next.

Need to find a production controller to push these hard. @shaman

2 Likes

@shaman We didn’t want to use the ebike controller, just wanted to prove our motors worked.

We wanted VESC for the wireless controller.

Hopefully, we can find a controller to push these 17s packs.

2 Likes

Never heard of these. Got a product link?

Awesome!

Let’s stay in touch

3 Likes

Why is the propulsion a trailer behind the board? Sorry if it’s been covered, seems like a football shaped paddle mounts to the snowboard itself would be much easier.

2 Likes

Agreed. Feels like you are on the wrong side of things. Snowboarding is all about carving and throwing the board from edge to edge while also being able to speed check by throwing the board sideways. Honestly I would spend a few hundred-thousands of hours learning to snowboard and learning the mechanics and feel before diving head first into building and selling a contraption like this. I feel like there are just too many people building weird contraptions without actually knowing how to ride or what it is all about. snowboarding and longboarding is more about the board feel than the mechanical side of things and they have to go hand in hand. it’s not a computer or a toaster.

The torque steer would be messed up while carving or speed checking with a trolly behind. having a large thing dangling behind is just dumb in my opinion. Idk I think we are a few years away in order to get the power and size down to something reasonable.
But if I were determined to go through with it I would personally explore having the drivetrain in the middle between your feet sort of like a one wheel. and have either a rounded football like profile to the paddle wheel or have a side to side tilting action to keep the paddle contraption parallel to the snow at all times. and of course have a long action spring/shock system to keep the paddles in contact with the snow the same amount even if you are on edge. not sure how the feel of the board will be like with all that weight but keeping the swing weight down will be key.

that said im not a snowboarder so shouldn’t really have a say in the matter but I have spent a few thousand hours on a pair of skis, and I am a semi decent skater and kiteboarder.

Just my thoughts on the matter, hope you take a step back and lock over the design choices at the very least. I like the idea though.

3 Likes