Power Cutoff when accelerating

I’ve been having this issue for awhile now. Sometimes when I accelerate from a standstill or at low speed the power to one or both motors gives out for a second. Its not enough to throw me off the board but it’s still bothersome. It never happens during constant throttling but only when I try to accelerate. I have a xenith and two torqueboard 6380 190kv motors. I’m also using the maytech remote. I have a molicel p42a 21700 12s5p battery pack.

It kinda feels like the motor(s) are stalling. I put the battery amps to 85a and the motor amps to 100a in the unity software which seemed like it helped stop the stalling from a standstill but it still stalled when I tried accelerating from a low speed. Seems to happen when I accelerate harder than normal but I never jam the remote.

Someone told me to try to vesctool instead but my firmware on the xenith has a later release date than the vesctool firmware in the vesctool app on my android phone. I read people have issues reverting back to the older firmware so I didn’t want to mess with this unless I have to.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

1 Like

Does the esc show any faults when it cuts out? I would go over all your wires and make sure it’s all in good shape. No loose connections or bad solder joints or frayed wires. That can be a common cause of quick cutouts.

2 Likes

Lower the fault timeout to 85ms.

Also check for faults as Joe suggested.

4 Likes

I’ll bet its ABS_OVERCURRENT

try turning your current settings down

5 Likes

It can also be caused by the “Absolute Maximum Current” being set too low. Set this to the max it will allow for your hardware.

2 Likes

Flip on if it’s not already on “slow ABs current” or whatever that setting is called

4 Likes

I don’t have the vesc tool setup yet so I assume all your suggestions are in that app. I’m going to try setting it up over usb but I’m stuck on what to set as my max battery. I read the mboards post on how to set it up but I’m still confused.

"Battery Current Max
Battery Current Max references the maximum amount of current that we are going to allow each motor to pull from the battery. The Interstellar’s battery can handle a current of 60a. Since we are using 2 motors, we need to divide our pack’s max current by 2. So we will enter 30a.

If you are using a different battery than the MBoards 10s4p, you’ll need to base your values off of your pack’s max draw.

Battery Current Max = (Total Pack Max Discharge Rate) / 2

Interstellar Users: 30a "

I have a 12s5p Molicel 21700 P42A 4200mAh 45A Battery pack. From what I’ve read that means my pack’s constant discharge rate is 189a. Does that sound right? So in the vesc tool my battery current max per motor would be 94.5?

My motors can handle 80a each which means they can’t handle my battery’s max discharge rate of 94.5. I’m not trying to max out my settings. I just want to try your suggestions to get rid of this stalling issue.

Has the ESC been configured? This isn’t an optional step.

4 Likes

In vesc tool? No I haven’t used the program at all yet. The esc was configured using the unity android app and I use the LTT xiaoxiang smart bms app. Until now it’s worked fine except for the occasional stalling issue.

I think I configured vesc tool except I don’t know what to use for these settings. The absolute max current was set when I calibrated it so I don’t know if thats too high. I don’t want to fry anything.

1 Like

Run before you can crawl and such.

Vesc firmware treats the unity like two escs (one per motor).

If you want 100 battery amps, you have to set 50 per side. If you want 80 phase amps per motor, you have to set each motor at motor. To access the other side you can either do it from the CANBUS menu bottom left or the can forwarding button right sidebar.

2 Likes

I fucking hate that 45A rating.

You’ll get the best results keeping p42a at about 25A in my opinion. You can push to 30A, but the sag is real.

For a 5p pack at 25A per cell, you’re looking at 125A total, 62.5A per side.

5 Likes

I tried lowering the absolute max to 200a but when I went to save a pop up window said the value was truncated (lowered) to whats allowed or something then it changed it back to 400a. Wtf?

Since the android app wont save adjustments i will have to open the enclosure every time to make adjustments. That sucks.

Do these settings look safe?

25A for what setting? 62.5A for motor max?

1 Like

Don’t do this unless you know what you’re doing. Just leave that number alone.

1 Like

Not for a setting in VESC Tool, for a calculation you make.

No, he’s talking about a battery.

Electric skateboards aren’t safe. At all. You might die. Wear a helmet.

Try

motor max 80A (each motor)
motor min -60A (each motor) (low speed brake strength)
battery max 40A (each motor) (or 62.5A as @glyphiks said)
battery min -17A (each motor) (high speed brake strength)
absolute maximum current (don’t touch)
max erpm (don’t touch)

In the advanced section, lower “Fault Timeout” to 85ms and set “Duty Cycle Max” to 95% and “Duty Cycle Current Limit Start” to 85%

Then save.

Then, do ALL OF THAT (except the helmet) again for the other motor.

When numbers are negative, they have to be negative.

6 Likes

Thank you. That helps a lot.

Mboards instructions said all builds should use 80,000 erpm. Should I recalibrate and leave the erpm at the original figure? I think it was like 100,000. Same with absolute max. It was around 401A.

Oh I know they aren’t safe. Ive been riding for 4 years and always gear up. I meant safe so I dont fry the hardware.

That’s an erpm limit. 80k erpm is the “limit” for older v4 hardware. A normal 12s setup isn’t getting near that. Leave it at 100k

1 Like