Power Converters Wiki (i.e. Buck Converter, Linear Regulator, UBEC/SBEC, etc)

A much needed thread :pray::raised_hands: thank you @sleepless

How come the 10a is $2 (actually the same price with shipping) and the 5a is $10? Shouldn’t it be more expensive? I want to order the 10a one but is it legit?

This one is $30. How do they differ?

Thank you @Battery_Mooch for all the corrections and clarifications. I defer to you.

I’ll update the language in the first post to reflect this.

Also, let me reiterate - this is not intended to provide battery advice, and anyone with questions regarding charging voltages or cutoff voltages (or anything affecting the safe operation of your build) should consult with trusted experts

3 Likes

Thank you for putting all this together for the community!

4 Likes

daygreen are pretty reliable, i think @ShutterShock uses one on the front of his board?
they are waterproof… pretty much bulletproof too. Also can handle many Amps.
Downside is that they are BIG

2 Likes

Hmmm no I don’t actually. I used a very small one, I can find the link if someone wants it. I do remember someone on here has used one of those though

My board has a two-part system. One is 50.4v → 12v, and then the one on the front is an LED driver 12v to 3.3v or whatever forward voltage it was that I picked for my diodes

2 Likes

Hmm then who was it?
In any case it was battered up and still working.
Sorry Ryan :grimacing:

1 Like

Lol honestly I don’t know I just remember seeing a picture once. Maybe in the “Let there be lights” thread. And no problem, tag me for whatever haha

1 Like

Different vendors, different sizes, different construction. This prices on these are so cheap, it may be entirely up to volume pricing discounts.

Without having any experience with that one in particular, the main thing seems to be the massive heat seat it’s encased in. That would be necessary if you were actually going to draw anywhere near the 50A in the title. You might research ebike builds to get a better understand of these

1 Like

If you’d recommend it, please post the link so we can add it for reference :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well the first one broke due to vibration but the second one I coated important areas in hot glue and it’s been working for a couple hundred miles

Used to be on Amazon

Is on Ali

1 Like

Ah, that classic 2596HV, yep, that’s the standard for 12s I think.
Interesting it broke from vibration. Was it just floating free inside the enclosure or heat shrinked / velcro’ed down?

2 Likes

It was in the small enclosure over the front wheels that I designed for it. The large coil broke off the circuit board from the vibration.

It was glued down and underneath it was attached with a TPU pad.

2 Likes

Wow! great reminder to secure electronic components from shock & vibe

2 Likes

I am curious:
I see a lot of talk about downregulating (which makes sense, as it is used for accesories), but what about upregulating?
Say I have access to a lot of 36V (powertool) batteries and would like to use them for an esk8 - could I use a boost converter to get the voltage to 10s-level?

(what I would ACTUALLY like to do, is get from 50.4V to 72V, but the principle is the same I guess)

no because of regen. And even then, you’d need a booster so big it wouldn’t be worth it.

What you can do is use those packs and a regular sized booster to charge your board on the go

also you can just run the board directly off those 36v packs because those ARE 10s lol

If you’re stuck on using existing power tool batteries, the most efficient way to do this is most likely wiring multiple packs in series to increase your total voltage. There may be complications doing this as most have some sort of BMS board inside, unless you crack them open and harvest the cells. This is outside the scope of this thread - please consult the battery builder’s thread for more info/questions.

Tad bit on the larger size

This code seems to find the thing I’m looking for at Amazon: k481208:

Potted 48V → 12V 8A

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=k481208

I feel bad I totally missed/overlooked this thread when I made these.

I just also really wanted a thread dedicated to just buck or boost modules, as when you are shopping you are generally looking for one or the other.