Possible fresh start

I started my first built with super cheap and some home made parts too. When I first began my budget for my first built was like $300. I don’t regret it. I guess I am a person that learn by hands on. Yes, my first, second and third built was just junk but I loved the process.

1 Like

When I built my board I did a lot of research on parts and end up getting 2 focboxes for 100 each on bf sale then the nano-x for 35 which a lot of people have had issues with but I haven’t actually and my has survived my fall last year. I had my wife buy me otang kegels for Christmas. Then bought janux mounts and wheel pulleys for 106. Then the 405 enclosure from psychotiller. My battery was built by a forum member on the builder forum and my motors where racerstars 5065. Not the best but better than other cheap motor. The deck I did myself. If you have an idea of what you want it to look like you can figure it out.

1 Like

A perfect _______ doesn’t exist. Build with whatever part you have, upgrade and learn, if learning is your passion. Else, sell and buy a pre built.

2 Likes

I’ve been using symmetrical decks so far (double drop, drop deck, then drop through) but I really want something with a kicktail now and a wide front, most of my rides will be sidewalks so I want to be able to have good handling (TKP and kicktail) and good riding (wide front end and pneumatics)

I could never buy a pre built, it’s just not the same

I actually don’t think $2,000 is needed to build a solid board i built this board useing what I would consider a be very nice and solid board for around $800-$900 using a mix of high and mid tier parts. It did take a few months of planning and i waited for good deals on some of the components I used to come around but at the end it was well worth it.

Also your not alone my first buildhad loads of issues and the board i linked above is the only one I’ve built that I’ve yet to have to open to fix anything.

3 Likes

Thanks for the pointer, I want something a little nicer but I get what you mean. I’ll revise the parts list and try to drop the price some more

1 Like

Quick question about motors, my current setup has dual sealed MayTech 6355s on 60/40 amps each and run on basically a 9s on 12/8 amps (the battery gets hella sag) but the motors are still very warm to the touch, I can hold them but it’s not too cozy…I though bigger motors might be better

I get you want a nice board with the latest and greatest from the top esk8 vendors but sometimes it’s good to take a step back and get some less expensive not as fancy parts but proven reliable parts like the ali 6x2 instead of haggy 6x2 (just one example the same could applied to deck,trucks etc) and get a really reliable board before deep diving to get the latest and greatest.

-just my 2 cents tho

3 Likes

I’ll try finding the cheaper copies of most of my parts, I’m thinking the $1100 range rn?

Kinda stumped for trucks though, I really want TKPs and the cheapest I found that look good for this are the SR Grindz…still $120 a set

1 Like

Maybe pick only certain things to splurge on like trucks and a deck

The tkp grinds 8m have a slight different hanger than tkp hex 10m. They are rounded at the bottom. Just a heads up.

I’m leaning towards that, I really want it to feel good as a board and reasonable as an electric one…I can’t find anything like the LY battle axe (massive wheel cutouts and kicktail) that seems promising

Yeah right! In eskate building it never stops, you say after this board I’m done and then you just make another one. I’m just shy of 2 years into the hobby and between pre-built and diy have 5 boards.

1 Like

Will the boardnamics SR TKP mounts work well enough? I just want something reliable after hella issues with the fucked TB and Paris mounts

Lol, my bank begs to differ :joy:

But yeah, I have a reputation for tinkering…I’ll go though a board a year until I graduate at least

1 Like

If you want surfrodz tkp get the 10mm hex. Idk if the grinds will work. (They are same price)

I might have some tkp baseplates you can have tho. Ill have to look.
Also check out https://www.skateshred.com/wholesale-blank-longboard-decks/blank-free-ride-and-downhill-longboard-decks.html
Decks with kicktails less than half the price of the battle axe.

2 Likes

Yeah the 10mm ones were what I were looking at, it still says Grindsz somewhere on the page though and I’m blind

I was looking at those decks but nothing looks like it will play nice with 6x2 wheels on 177mm hangars.

What’s the biggest motors I can get on those 177mm trucks? I think any flat end 6355/6354/5055 will fit as a dual

Oh. You wants kicktail and pneumatics,

How about deck on far left?