Pollution, and the myth [Serious]

When I walk into a thread and the first post reads like a popsci buzzfeed OpEd piece, I’m not as inclined to participate in a serious manner.

Esk8 good. Cars Bad.

We get it Brian. Everyone should just get rid of cars and esk8 everywhere.

1 Like

We don’t need any more attacking people in this thread.

If you want to attack ideas, go for it.

1 Like

I, for one, haven’t done my research and it would be nice to know how the manufacturing carbon footprint of a 300mile range electric car compares to a similar luxury ICE car–with some citations/links.

3 Likes

It takes less material to produce and less energy to operate an esk8 than a car. The reasons are obvious, primarily size and weight. How to compare this when the scale is the same, well above my fireplace.

1 Like

I knew i was onto something!

This really proves how efficient esk8’s can be. This is a cheap 20W Solar panel moving my ~95kg ass up a very shallow incline in our garden

I mean it’s with 3 km/h only at full throttle, but show me another vehicle that can do that with 20 watts only from a full stop. (probably less due to the way I held it)

14 Likes

Consider me interested in this project!

1 Like

That is the way to move people. Both physically and intellectually. Show them proof. Some of us can be entirely swayed by numbers. We find adjectives offensive for their imprecision Many other people stop paying attention when you start quoting numbers. But an experiment you can watch speaks to everyone.

5 Likes

A good set of ethics when dealing with the outdoors (which increases the viability of forested areas, keeping the forested areas we currently have) is the 'Leave No Trace" program.

2 Likes

Could you expand a bit on your setup here?

What voltage was that PV, and how was it wired into the board’s power system?

I’m going to give this a go (running on 20W) if I limit the battery amp settings to .5A and have a 40V battery seems like it would be equivalent? Imagine since I’m lighter and super flat land around Chicago, can get going faster, but should effectively show the same thing. Honestly just curious if it can overcome static friction with that little power, think once you get rolling just a matter of time to get up to speed (before wind drag is an issue at least).

It’s just a cheap poly solar panel i found on ebay.
Voltage is about 20V, but i haven’t measured it under VESC Load, so i imagine 15V to 18V.
It’s plugged in directly via the XT90 connector and i just disabled braking for the VESCs.

@wafflejock yeah that should work. Keep in mind that i am running 130kv Motors and a 10:5.5 reduction, so my top speed is only ~ 33km/h but i have all the torque.

3 Likes

At such low speed I think the escs losses are going to be a more notice loss and escs are most efficient running at the motors max speed and lowest switching frequency. A hub motor with like 10kv would likely be most efficient for continuous output going a continuous slow top speed. Is there a way to get more energy from regen by adjusting the motor and battery regen settings? I’m guessing set it to all battery regen and think motor regen is less eff and just shorting in the motor. I think

1 Like

Here, have a study. https://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default/files/attach/2015/11/Cleaner-Cars-from-Cradle-to-Grave-full-report.pdf

It should be noted that a Model 3 LR with 310 miles of range has the same battery capacity as a Model S 75D, which gets 237 miles. The efficiency gains since the 2014 model year further widen the gap between ICEv and EV.

3 Likes

Yah actually totally works on wood flooring so pretty ideal conditions but limiting to .5A from battery with very discharged battery can still get moving. Will try outside sometime soon but just got conformal coating and need to apply it before taking board out on wet streets again here.

Side note don’t set your Regen amperage to a positive number or very strange things start happening. Board accelerates when hitting brakes, and goes backwards seemingly randomly when pulling throttle… Do not recommend… Really should be caught as an error in metr app or somewhere down the line.

3 Likes

Nice!
"Based on modeling of the two most popu-lar BEVs available today and the regions where they are currently being sold, excess manufacturing emissions are offset within 6 to 16 months of average driving."

This is exactly what I wanted to know.

5 Likes

Yeah, there are several bogus “studies” going around spreading misinformation about the cleanliness of EVs, so I feel the urge to set the record straight.

2 Likes

One of my fav youtubers just uploaded this, very crazy idea haha

4 Likes

Another myth I hear all the time is that the heat from the motor creates emissions. I am baffled as to how people came up with this idea. I’ve heard a couple people say that they’re even worse then gas (petrol) engines! If that were the case, a backyard fire would be destroying earth

4 Likes

$500 in solar panels though xD
Also, esk8 has insane efficiency. Above 1500mpg or 600km/l, even the most green cars don’t even come close to 10x less efficienct

3 Likes

True! From the vid, the board used was a Boosted stealth. If it was a 12s10p DIY board for example, the range would be comparable then, and also more convenient since you do not have to stop and charge, and it’ll be way lighter than 45 kilos…