Poll about lockups

:man_shrugging: My first board was ‘17 when I was 10 lol

3 Likes

I think I was around that age as well when I did my first build but I had a year where I didn’t do any esk8, but I think I started riding my dads pre-builds at like 9ish

How you know :crazy_face:

Invest in a good remote and you will be much safer, vescs have gone up in quality really a lot but the remotes except some not so much imo

2 Likes

I know I’m kinda derailing my own thread, but what are the safest remotes on the market?

Other:

My board cut power at 35mph while under heavy acceleration. It didnt lock the breaks, but the sudden change in acceleration (from 100% to 0%) was enough to throw me, because I was leaning really far forwards.

The cause of this was the temp sensor bug in FW4 reading my temp sensors are momentarily like 300% or 400% of the hard temp cut off.

I fixed this by removing the temp sensor pin from my sensor cables. I still do this on FW5 because I am paranoid.

4 Likes

Hoyt Puck/PuckPuckBruce.

5 Likes

My only lockup was on my first board, it was a boat esc, a 4213 motor and a diy radio using nrf24 radio connected to and arduino that was just insert into a protoboard taped to the bottom of the board

Obviously the radio fell off and the board locked up and I went flying, both hands and knees and a lot of blood, and that was going really slow, my worst fall to date

2 Likes

In short what makes these remotes safer then others?

Rock solid hardware and an extremely robust radio protocol.

5 Likes

Awesome thanks for the info!

I have had this happen a few times…

1. Fucking shit ass enetion nano x remote caught interference in DC and I landed on my ass hard.

2. The other day racing home on my board, I think the motors got too hot and one of them legit braked for a micro second.

4 Likes

Motors dont break because they are hot, they break because the esc told them to.
When they get too hot they should just get less power until temperature comes down

4 Likes

Well then that’s the shit ass enertion unity lmao. :joy:

I honestly am not smart enough to tell you why it happened or what was the cause. I just took a guess. I talked to a buddy and they mentioned the hall sensors. I haven’t had it happen for quite some miles so maybe a fluke or maybe a bigger disaster is in order :man_shrugging:

Try running without sensors then, IDK my unity has been super solid compared to other vescs I used.

Its probably the remote, or the unity, as I know sensors are used only on startup, so if your going anything faster than 5kmh they should be “off”

1 Like

No lock-ups. My major accidents have all involved substance abuse :drooling_face:

2 Likes

I’m happy to let my motors fry before I let the VESC send me flying. Strong believer in pulling the temp sensor wire.

2 Likes

Fully agree.

Cooking motors and de-magnetizing magnets = gradual power loss.

VESC getting pissy about temp sensors = eating street.

3 Likes

Early Unity FW sent me flying. Full right side lock at 30mph+ accelerating near the top end. Came off the board at a weird angle because of the violent side jerk. Basically my legs pretzeled and I rag dolled a good bit. I was pretty messed up from that one. FW changes and updates make me paranoid. Never used the unity because of that.

2 Likes

I was going about 25 mph, up a hill, running a Unity and VX1 remote connected over UART. When I modulated the throttle I heard a loud noise from one or both of the motors and the wheels locked up. I flew off the front and was unable to run it out. I broke my arm pretty badly. I initially thought it could have been the duty cycle glitch (was on FW 5.1) - but when I bench tested the board later I was able to replicate the noise and lockup, with no load, just by varying the throttle. I decided to swap the VX1 for a Chubby modded mini and the problem went away.

I am currently using a VX2 (UART) on the same board with zero issues (I know, living on the edge). Whatever you do, I definitely would NOT recommend using a VX1 over UART with a Unity/Xenith, use PPM instead if you must use that combo.

1 Like