I ran the Kenda version for a while last year on both my Flux and Comp95 mountainboard. I found them to be more comfortable than 200x75 phatties due to softer sidewalls. I used 2.5in offset hubs as shown here, ran them very soft… 15-20psi. Grip was outstanding for T-racing and on pavement. Efficiency was just as bad as with Phatties… More contact with the road = worse efficiency.
I’ve not seen anyone use these before, have been thoroughly enjoying them. Starting with stupid over-gearing, I improved my efficiency from 27Wh/mi to 22Wh/mi by going from 200mm to 225mm too! These are Primo Durotrap 2.80/2.50-4 9x2.5 225x65 made for mobility chairs, which I found at Monsterscooterparts.com.
I don’t have the directional stability at speed on dirt/gravel I had with rounded knobby tires (specifically 200x50 Clever “shitslingers”) but have much more control on those surfaces than with grooved 200x75 phatties.
Once warmed-up on dirt, (me, not the tires,) I find myself throwing my weight into carving when finishing my skate on pavement, practically trying to rip the tires off of the hubs. They’re just as grippy as the phatties or slicks were.
I have yet to balance these, and they need it. They ride smooth up to about 15mph unbalanced as shown, then I can feel vibration starting. I’ll report back after balancing, trying them at higher speed.
UPDATE: My settings were off by a country mile, indicated speed and distance were totally wrong. These feel great up to 20mph w/o balancing, but have worn very quickly. I’ve probably scrubbed half the tread off of the front, 60% off of the rear in only about 300mi. Now that I’m comfortable with the powah of the new motors, these are a joy to powerslide, but do seem to let loose much “earlier” than either Phatties or Kenda 8x3 slicks due to the much softer rubber compound. SO, for lower speed stupid carving these are GREAT, but for T-racing, I’ll stick to something a tad less “greasy”.
I can’t believe you got them to expand all the way out to tomiboi size
I don’t think it’s a good idea. Something about the tubes shredding with this combination. @zero_ads would know more.
This setup was great imo and wish it worked, but for me those tires just killed tubes no matter the setup. They’re a smidge better on the BN GT3s, as in the sidewalls bulge a little less
By chance, do you have a link to where you got those tires, and what tubes you used with them?
Has anyone tried those 8.5 x 3 scooter tires (using the 3DS or any other wheels)?
Yeah, I tried them on @bboybowzer’s Flux build. They run super smooth, very well balanced roll. Just sucks having such limited options for a drivetrain.
Someone should make bigger rims with MBS bolt pattern… paging @Drpoppinoff
Thanks. Did you find the ride harsh with such a low profile? I worry how these will feel on crappy roads.
Actually not sure, unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to try them outside of a parking lot.
The ride was smooth but I didn’t think it was anything super mind-blowing personally.
Not that harsh. Maybe even the same as stretched kendas.
Although it’s great to hear that these run very smooth and balanced, the main benefit I would see from these is greater traction.
Lol I also have a design but they would cost so much to machine its not worth it
It just doesn’t make sense to support a design for a single tire unless you’re selling it on your board. Lorentz has some wheels for them now too I think
Tuovt 8.5x3 that 3DS has a wheel for is bigger than the lorentz boards wheels. Lorentz appears to be it’s own weird bastard tire.
No its just a different widely available one that you can get on aliexpress. That wheel would fit the hota one that I also designed for
Nice tip… I tried polyethylene shopping bags, aluminum foil, teflon tape… Kapton sounds much much better. I’ve already killed a (cheapie chinese) 6001 in a set of MBS Pro II XL that have only been in service for ~300mi, I’m afraid it’s already hogged out the bore a tiny bit, clicks like mad.
DUDE! This trick of wrapping Kapton tape around a bearing/bushing to fit a damaged bore works great! I saved my Baltimore trip by doing the same thing with PE shopping bags, worked for a few weeks. The Kapton is so much harder/tougher/stronger, I think this might be a semi-permanent solution to making use of my worn Hypertruck hangers.
[Cue sad trombone] They are out of stock where I bought them. Kenda 8x3.00-4 4 Ply Tubeless Slick Tread Tire K-404 Mower Deck Caster Wheel 98663017459 | eBay
I love 'em, am on my 3rd set, have 2 more stockpiled
They are a pain in the ass to mount, legit 200x75 tubes are now unobtainium, but 2.50/2.80-4 tubes from Harbor Freight (sold as “8in” tubes) work perfectly. I was only able to mount them on Fivestars (which are crap, lasted half as long as the tires on them) and Hellcat Wides for which they were designed. They only flatten out on 50mm or wider hubs, and only at very low pressure… under 15psi. They aren’t great on gravel/dirt, but had enough stability at ~18mph on loose stuff to not bug me. I’d choose another tire if you skate trails a lot, but for street/asphalt, these are near unbeatable for a long-wearing flat tread tire.
I just took delivery of another Shore A durometer to replace the one I somehow lost, will take a poke at all of the tires I’ve collected to give us some idea of who’s using what rubber! I did the same with all colors (save the few customs poured by/for Kaly?) of Lacroix/Riptide and MBS channel truck blocks a couple years ago, was immensely helpful for future builds. Now that I’ve got opinions on many tires, I’m curious to see if my observations can be explained with some data. I’m also curious to learn how the rubber hardens with age… I’ve got several examples of the same tire in new, new old stock, and used shape to test as well.


