Pneumatic Wheel Compendium (Serious)

You can probably find those exact tires on Amazon, but they won’t be cheap anymore. Cheap or quick, your choice.

3 Likes

perfect timing I was just thinking about another set - I’m really happy with these so far

1 Like

I always order a set of reserves as soon as I swap tires out. Just ordered some a week or 2 ago :grin:

I’m sure I’m jinxing myself by saying this but I’ve worn through 4 set of these tires without changing the inner tubes.

Be careful though, they are aware that we buy in quantity of 4 and try to fuck you on shipping.

So I order 3 and then 1 separately to save about $14

12 Likes

I’ve seen this a lot on AliExpress and on lots of things, even wire and connectors. Just order one less than where the shipping charge jumps as a rule of thumb

4 Likes

If I recall correctly Aliexpress has a rule that if order is over $5 then it has to go through tracked shipping or some more expensive shipping, so it’s not always sellers fault. But Aliexpress also allows sellers to join orders so if you make two $4 orders then seller can join them to one package and use the cheaper shipping service anyway.

2 Likes

As I’m not in the US, I’ve been looking for a set of six inch/150mm inner tubes on AliExpress but can only find options with the valve stem on a 45 degree angle.

Can anyone recommend an AliExpress equivalent that has a 90 degree valve stem?

I use 45 degree stems. Never had a problem getting to them.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the conundrum

Anyone (@Venom121212 ?) who’s tried a decent variety of tires - is there a direct correlation between diameter and consumption?

Curious

I currently rotate between 105mm rubber, 110mm thanes, 155mm pneumies and 200mm knobby pneumies all on the same drivetrain and same gear ratio if that’s enough experience to draw from.

IME larger diameter means more consumption, but rubber also increases rolling resistance which increases consumption. I get the best range on the 110 thanes or 105mm rubbers, and those are about the same.

I’d use 97mm thanes but my GD won’t let me.

From an engineering stand point there should be. Everything else being equal, the energy used is going to relate to the contact patch. Larger contact patch has a higher area to overcome friction. Larger wheels (talking diameter, not width) are likely to have a bigger contact patch so more energy to over come the forces of friction (plus all the other energy thingamabobs)

Running two different sized tires at max kpi shouldn’t have much of a difference, but as we all love running at 30-40psi there will be a difference. I have stouts on hand so I’m not crunching the numbers :grin:

3 Likes

Tire pressure would make a big difference as well, especially when comparing say, a 6 inch pnummie to a 9 inch.

5 Likes

Yep I got you.

So when I use 8" slicks and run my normal route, I was getting 15 Wh/km on average.

When I use 9" offroad tires and run my normal route, I get 20 Wh/km on average.

When I cruise a bike path on 8" slicks, I can get it down to 12 Wh/km.

When I cruise a bike path on 9" offroad, I can get it down to 16 Wh/km.

7 Likes

Yep, that’s one of the reasons I never understand comparing pneumies to urethane (or even other pneumies). Tire pressure is not a constant like the durometer hardness of urethanes

1 Like

damn you must be light, or you have a really efficient gear ratio and VESC setting.

155lbs, 44:9 ratio

Hmm 4.89 seems like a much better ratio than I’m using at 2.78. maybe that’s how you get such good efficiency

1 Like

I’m getting 12Wh/km as well on soft MBS T3 tires while cruising no wind on bike path as well, even lower sometimes. I’m don’t fully understand this, because 80% similar setup that had 107mm flywheels was getting over 18Wh/km in same riding conditions. I weight 80kg 175lbs. And I run BLDC on my VESCs.

But I’m running two 6354 motors with 60:16 ratio. Motors work most efficiently under certain load and I think I have found sweet spot for cruising. Big motors with big ratio would be less efficient. I assume this is my case.

3 Likes

I’ve had a feeling motor size plays into this, I just didn’t expect smaller to be more efficient. Have you tried with multiple sizes of motor?

2 Likes

Nah, I haven’t tested it directly (or better said, I had 6374 motors on this setup, but these motors were in a bad condition, so it wouldn’t be fair comparison). But there is a thread about it

1 Like