Please critique my ultralight electric "paragliding skateboard"

Ok, I need some more help.

I’m unclear on how high I can set the amps on my VESC. I got the Flipsky 6.7 which is Continuous 60A, instantaneous current 150A.
My single motor is the Reacher 6485 173kv. It can handle 74 Amps continuous and 105 Amps instantaneous.

Can I set my VESC to 74 motor amps, or will it burn up my 60 amp VESC? Remember, its all uphill, so it going to be full throttle most of the time.

If it matters, my battery pack is 10s1p Molicel P45b. 4.5 ah and 45 amps output.

Always run your system based on the weakest link in the chain, for either continuous or burst. The FS ESC is definitely the weak link, they have a reputation for unreliability. It’s best to limit current conservatively with those.

1 Like

Just a heads up, IDEA (efreedom.eu) produces short hangers for Surf Rodz TKP geometry which are also pretty solid.

1 Like

Motor amps max 60A, battery amps max 35A (45A is optimistic for a continuous load) would be a good starting point.

Also, as a sidenote - if you want lightweight, a lipo might be a better choice for battery. Higher power output for the same weight/size.

1 Like

What single vesc would you recommend?

This is basically my primary use case, if you look through the boards I’ve built.

One large motor on the rear heelside will be lighter than two motors.

Don’t overdo the battery. If it’s all uphill on the way there, then I’m guessing it’s all downhill on the way back?

Carbon fiber blocks radio. Use fiberglass.

A mountainboard style board will be a shit-ton heavier than a small board with small trucks. I would not go for channel trucks, a mountainboard, or wide trucks.

I exceed this all the time on these small boards.

Take a look at this if weight and portability are primary concerns.

though a lot of those parts are old and much better ones are available now, like the Boardnamics 145mm trucks for example.

… and that’s with a lithium-iron battery. If you use the Molicel P45B you’ll get about twice the range per battery weight. (but it won’t last as long)

5 Likes

Most people here use stuff from MakerX, they have a few single drives. Spintend is a small step down from that, trampa is a few notches up but needlessly swanky. Get something with a current rating a bit higher than what you want to run through your motor if you care about reliability. Get something a lot higher if you want to keep the heat down and run without a heatsink to save weight.

3 Likes

Landing with a load of expensive & heavy gear in the middle of nowhere would make this a must.

Also airless tires or a spare/mini pump?

The lightest board for this purpose seems to be the low budget hub esk8
Backfire Era II - 7.5kg

hub motors :nauseated_face:

You guys gave me a lot of good suggestions, therefore I changed a lot of my original components.

Single 6485 Reacher motor
10s1p P45B battery. (This should get me close to launch. If not all the way, I can hike the last bit)
145mm Boardonomics trucks
80mm Orangutang wheels
Custom carbon fiber penny board or custom velocity etch board
Skyart VESC

I think I can this keep this board below 12 lbs. And a very small size.

How smooth are the roads?

Not that great, but smooth enough. I know bigger tires would be nice.
This board is all about getting me to the top of the mountain, with the smallest amount of weight as possible. That’s it.

Gotcha.

I might bump up to 12S1P P45B for range considerations. You will be pushing the 10 cells really close for

In fact, I’d be nervous with 12 cells.

Maybe even two 9000mAh 6S (22.2) lipos with a BMS would give you a lot more range for about 2.4kg of weight. Just something else to think about. But I’d go 12 cells minimum on the P45B. You don’t need any battery left for the way down…

1 Like

For a single drive on a 10S1P, i dont think you need a reacher 6485. Something like the reacher 6455 would be more than adequate and lighter. Also, definitely bump the voltage up to 12S if you can.

1 Like

nah thats gonna overheat really quick. I ran a setup like that

2 Likes

I already wrote to you on reddit that you should use Lipos and a budget hub board with cloudwheels
DIY build will cost you more, more pain, more waiting and take longer with the same effect, reaching top of the hill
you need lipos, because when you land, you charge them for the next climb within 20 minutes, one or two beer
6.6kg or minus 0.5 kg lipos

1 Like

much lighter of course, or??

Really? On a 10S1P, and assuming you dont need a lot of speed, youd just run a shitload of reduction to reduce the amps required no?

1 Like

my first decent setup was 10s with a single 6354. would get really hot even on flat ground trying to do 20mph. it was geared into the mid 20s