Picking a builder - picking a board

https://forum.esk8.news/t/bill-gordon-is-a-fucking-pussy/47476/28 this link is 404 for me ( Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private)

ur rank needs to be lv2 (member) before u have access to that thread.

How does that happen? I looked at the FAQ and the pinned threads but I can’t see it.
I became a patreon just now dunno if that helps.

Forgive me, but this seems a little dramatic, given the circumstances.

Propulsion is essentially a couple of young guys who had a good time building boards and turned it into a small business. They don’t build batteries themselves, I’m fairly certain they don’t have the ability to. They’re more or less assemblers who have configured something and it competes with Evolve. It’s better than an Evolve, absolutely.

You can find them on YouTube also, and frankly I appreciate their content more than the folks who are putting out the Unknown Boards stuff.

However they’re not at the level of a boutique builder where they have enough stock of everything to keep a seamless flow going. They get batteries produced by a company, I imagine one overseas, and order their parts in batches.

Sometimes the supply chain gets delayed.

You’d experience that with any board maker or builder.

Order a Metroboard, you’ll wait two months due to the wait list and sometimes parts delays. Order a LaCroix, same thing.

Order a custom build from a DIY person or boutique outfit, likely the same, since they’re going to outfit parts specifically for a build, and have to source anything they don’t have. And then make it themselves.

I build everything myself, as do many folks here. And if you look at the Builds section, you’ll see in many cases, much time between build progress posts when someone is waiting for parts.

I haven’t checked, so if they didn’t specify lead times on their page, then sure that’s not a very amazing thing and I’d probably be a bit miffed myself.

However I wouldn’t consider it a terrible mistake. They’re standup people, and if you really didn’t want to wait I’m sure they’d refund you no problem.

1 Like

“Why did I pay for three day shipping again?” This is the only thing I’m confused about. Why did he pay for three day shipping and no mention of any lead time? They should at least update their website to explain their process. Not everyone follows their youtube channel to know anything about how they do business. Just my opinion. They got back to him and he’s satisfied with the new response so it’s all good for now. Don’t see how this is dramatic, pretty reasonable. Glad you know their backstory and are vouching for them.

Yeah you’re right mario I was being dramatic in the moment.
I feel better now that they’ve gotten back to me and talked me down.
It’s really more about communication than anything else.
If the website had just said that the thing was not in stock and expect to wait a bit I might have bought it anyway and been happy with that.
I mean maybe it did say that and I missed it but I don’t think that’s the case.
If I’d gotten an initial email saying “thanks for your order - the battery is out of stock so it’s gonna take a while” I wouldn’t have liked it but I also wouldn’t have freaked out.
Or if they went to start pulling down the parts and realized they were out of batteries that could have been the moment to dash off an email.
My worry was that I was being drawn into one of these situations where there’s either radio-silence or always an excuse from a esk8 company why your product is not in the mail until one day they are just gone.
Someone in this thread mentioned psychotiller which led to me reading this thread: I owe you all an apology
Psychotiller surely didn’t set out to scam anyone. By most accounts he’s a good guy. He just got over his head and started ghosting his customers because he didn’t know what to say to them.
You can watch the Enertion guy’s video and see from his own point of view he did his best but some people just didn’t get what they paid for for reasons out of his control Enertion Fail - What Happened to the Raptor 2 Electric Skateboard? - YouTube
I’m sure you’re right propulsion are stand up guys.
I just had visions of being caught up in yet another one of these slow-motion crashes and I might have overreacted a bit.

Eh…

I’m sure there are some folks here who have plenty to say on those two accounts.

But either way, glad you got a response that made you feel better.

have more read time on this forum and also post comments a bit? i don’t remember what’s the requirement for getting higher rank now, but it shouldn’t take that long if u read the forum a bit. find a long enough thread and read through it, my suggestion is the jeffwu thread :rofl: those are pretty fun to read

@GnomeMeansNo
These are the requirements to view that thread. Probably the 15 days of visit is what’s missing

Edit:

here’s a link to discourse trust level explanation, that you probably dont need anymore since I screenshooted out the relevant part.

3 Likes

I read that jeffwu thread without knowing the twist ending and I felt like I was having a stroke.
I was an ESL teacher overseas so it was super obvious to me that he was a white guy doing a bad imitation of an ESL student.
I couldn’t figure out if other people were in on the joke or what.
When the truth started to come out I was practically yelling my screen come on guys figure it out!
What a ride.

3 Likes

good read eh? :joy: the 3 jeffwu threads read time alone can probably get u half way to regular already

6 Likes

How do I find the jeffwu threads?
As you can see I’m a noob

I think the real good stuff is in this one: *SCAM ALERT* neoBOX open source Focbox variant (HW 4 and HW6 Design) - #740 by rusins
To get to the best parts pull up the guy’s activity page:
Profile - jeffwuneo - esk8.news forums
I did that because I couldn’t get over the guy’s fake no-tickey-no-shirty Breakfast at Tiffany’s act and I wanted to read it all to see if it was a big joke or what.
You can see his posts suddenly turn defensive when he’s about to be found out that will lead to the juiciest parts.

1 Like

Please friend, don’t say bad about China or we can no longer talk.

That one really got me :rofl:

4 Likes

hello friend, we good no fake

sorry Arnaud, shit is too funny that i have to use the quote :rofl:

3 Likes

Awwww yeah:

I got it!

There was a little more drama about the shipping but I’m trying not to be a bitch about it so that @TheBoardGarage will be proud of me.

Just riding around grandma style while I get used to it.

These double kingpins are weird.

4 Likes

@GnomeMeansNo hows your board holding up? Would recommend propulsion for a new user? I’m also interested trying to build a board like UnknownBoard M5 (evolve clone).

While the summer is now over for me I could wait and aim for 2022.

Yeah the Demon 2.0 is pretty dope IMHO.
The propulsion guys are super responsive and helpful.
I would recommend it with a couple caveats:

• only if you are in America - there are too many issues for Canadians - Propulsion needs to study up on doing the correct paperwork for warranty return items so their customers aren’t stuck paying duties and taxes for things that are not purchases - and understand which UPS shipping modes include brokerage and which will make UPS stick your customer with huge brokerage fees COD (UPS are scammers). To be fair Propulsion has been open to helping defray these costs each time but it sucks that it keeps happening.

• there have been some hardware issues: exploding Torqueboards wheels, malfunctioning flipsky remotes, slightly misconfigured VESC - but in each case it’s not Propulsion’s fault that something failed and has stepped up to resolve it for me

• I would recommend to get the kit and put it together yourself if you’ve got the time and some basic tools - they have a video you can watch that lays out the whole process. I bought the preassembled one It came from them assembled without locktite anywhere so you need to disassemble it and put locktite on every screw. After a few hundred miles several of them had backed out and one of my motor mounts was flopping around - a dangerous situation IMHO. The screws holding the enclosure were all so loose I could turn them easily by hand and one of them fell out and went missing.
    Since the fully assembled ones are likely going to people who are not likely to be routinely going over their board and checking the screws they really need to locktite every screw like Boosted did. I think that should be part of the assembly video too if it isn’t.

• two of the threaded inserts for the enclosure have disintegrated. This may be because they backed out and then snagged on something, or it may be because instead of locktiting them when I first noticed they were loose I overtorqued them - I feel like something is wrong here tho they shouldn’t do that. I’m running with missing screws right now but I’m going to have to drill them out at some point and put in stronger inserts.

• they don’t sell replacement tires, inner tubes, or belts. This is bizarre to me. My tires are wearing down and I need spare tubes and belts and I’m totally on my own for this - I’m happy to pay Propulsion for them, but I’m forced to hunt around instead

• I would suggest getting the $175 one year warranty - if one of those torqueboards wheels delaminates (as they apparently tend to do) and it’s after the 3-month included warranty that pays for it right there.

• I kinda wish they had an option for a 12s4p battery instead of the 12s3p. It can apparently fit. The range is good but just slightly short of the sweet spot for me. That said I’m not sure I would have spent the extra $200 to get 12s4p at the time

3 Likes

Hey! Thanks for the feedback! We will definitely be taking this and improving for the future! Also for the spare tires, tubes and belts we are going to be selling some but as for right now just email us and we can arrange something :slight_smile: and we are trying to get bigger batteries but we are trying to make sure we get them from a good place that doesn’t cut corners. We are having one of our friends/battery builder check some to make sure they aren’t poor quality

9 Likes

I demand my nickel corners cut.

.75in should work.

5 Likes