Photovoltaic Panels For Night Time…

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/343856156_Higher_Operating_Temperature_IR_Detectors_of_the_MOCVD_Grown_HgCdTe_Heterostructures

I’m confused, is this some kind of complicated spam?

I wouldn’t say so… you just tune some IR PV panels to absorb 3.5 micron light from 300k ocean water black body radiation at night.

3 Likes

If I threw a 300k copper loop into 300k water I wouldn’t expect any current in the wire…

But if I put a 300k HgCdTe IR PV panel with 300k copper wire across the terminals in 300k air next to the very same 300k water at night, some 3.5 micron black body photons from the water will intersect with the panel, and some of these photons will produce electron-hole pairs in the PN junction, which in turn produce current in the wire.

Must have been some good stuff

8 Likes

It would seem so but I for one think he might b on to somin here. If my understanding is correct I think he’s taking about harnessing energy from the dark matter that holds the universe together. Meaning we could build an esk8 that runs on the reflected darkness we see when peering into the ocean at night. Nobody really understood Nikola Tesla at the time either, I say fuckin build it and they’ll come!

5 Likes

Well at least it’s not a violation of the 1st or 2nd Laws of Thermodynamics since it’s not a closed system… but more interestingly you can move heat energy from a cold substance to a hot one, spontaneously.

By that I mean you point a 300k HgCdTe detector at the 300k ocean on a 300k night, and make current through a 300k copper wire from the terminals… because the 300k water emits 3.5 micron black body IR radiation onto the 300k IR PV panel, at night.

1 Like

I can’t imagine what’s happening during the day.

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking.

like a radiation solar panel?

Do you need to carry a water bottle?

2 Likes

I’m talking about making electricity the same way helicopter pilots see people on the ground at night when there’s no moon.

1 Like

you realize that’s amplifying miniscule radiation signals with an external power source right?

1 Like

Look at Fig. 12 in my 1st post…

how does that imply a usable current being produced?

That test in Fig.12 is done with 0v bias voltage operating in photovoltaic mode… check the paper.

still the voltage produced is miniscule, and there is still no usable current to my understanding

The current produced from the terminals of the panel is directly proportional to the incident photon count on the panel at particular wavelengths.

you would need a panel the size of france to charge your esk8 at any sort of practical speed