Phase & Sensor Wire Connector Discussion

Got a link for that m8 connector? Looks intriguing for sensor wires

3 Likes

It’s just a standard connector, typically used in e-bikes. I’ve been seeing them and have had the come in and out of my hardware containers for at least four years now.

The issue for us IMO is just that the housing is too damn fucking long. Timo had something made slightly smaller in a custom run for his business, still larger housing than necessary but the best I’ve seen yet.

https://m.alibaba.com/amp/showroom/m8-connector-6-pin.html

2 Likes

Hmm yeah that connector sheath is really long

I just don’t get it either. Timo’s is long too & they’re custom made for a specific niche application… you think he’d make them more compact… we like that in esk8.

The only thing I can guess is that for the housing part he may have used an existing mold or something.

2 Likes

we just need the MR69 to happen

3 Likes

The M8 connector is about as long as the GX12, but smaller in diameter. It screws together and is water tight. These and other versions are often used on boat networks (NMEA 2000/Seatalk NG)

There is also a smaller M5 version of this but I couldn’t find it in a 6 pin option.

2 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve physically had one in hand… and I’m sure there are some discrepancies across the board of manufacturers…

Is it possible to shorten the majority of the rigid molded sheath much DIY? Or do they mostly have those stupidly long cup terminal pins that extend fairly far back into the molding.

If you can physically remove like 1” of the overmolding by hand without compromising function in less than 5 mins or so, I’d say they’re a decent option for DIY builders using them in their own boards. Sort of how I would remove some of the unnecessary sheathing/relief molding of the cheap blade style fuse holders so that they take up roughly half the space in an enclosure with the same functionality.

I searched far and wide for the m5 6pin with no results. It is indeed what we need.

2 Likes

I assume that the strain relief section could be easily trimmed with a knife, but I’ll have to check tonight.

the bane of my existence istg, I’ve cracked these mfs before.

3 Likes

They can be purchased without the housing

With leads pre installed

4 Likes

I just need to find the male ends in right-angle or at least not straight out.

Why would you want an right angle?

make the cable stay away from the rotor and the road

Those are quite bulky for an undermount enclosure, especially if its forward facing motors

2 Likes

rear facing motors, I would never go forward facing, that takes away battery space. and motors that stick out look good.

CNlinko ones look nice, but pretty large. Used these on my last build which aren’t so bulky.

NZ$ 4.95 7% Off | 2pin/3pin 18AWG 4pin 20 AWG 5/6pin 22AWG 8pin Black Color Male and Female waterproof Connector For LED strip Applicable 0.75mm sq

2 Likes

I believe the CNlinko LP12 is what BioBoards uses, and I think it’s only a 12mm diameter plug.

depends on the size of what you’re building and how much space you have for connectors I guess

3 Likes

I sure hope you put some waterproofing stuff in that phase connector. :smiley:

3 Likes