Pescadozer 31.5 (Deckcrafters Killdozer / Alva Pescado Grande)

Pictured below is a trio of Deckcrafters Killdozer decks shaped by Chuck Hults.
It measures 30 5/8" x 11" and has a wheelbase of 16 3/4"

Sadly, this instagram post on Nov. 5th, 2019 was also the announcement that Chuck would no longer be producing boards.

I was lucky enough to acquire the last Killdozer available from https://socalskateshop.com/ about a year ago. I wonder who ended up with the “headstone” trio!

I built a little carver out of mine with Avenue suspension baseplates and a custom machined hanger for hub motors.

With the news (from @spade) that this deck was practically impossible to find again.
I decided I would attempt to carve a clone out of a larger deck I had from a previous build :
The Tony ALVA Pescado Grande. It measures 37" x 12" and has an 18" wheelbase.
IMG_6913

I previsualized the idea using my phone while waiting at the airport haha!

IMG_6908

Lining up the front truck holes for scale, I saw that it may be possible.

When I got back home, I stacked the Pescado Grande and the Killdozer to see that there was indeed enough real estate.

I drew the outline of the Killdozer onto the belly of the Pescado Grande. (+1" ish)

And busted out the saw to begin blocking out the new shape.

I tried to remove as much material in straight cuts first.

Then started cutting some short curves

Once the block out was complete… I started taking care of the rounding…
Step one : Crack open a cold one…

Step two : grab sanding apparatus and goooooo

Baby Steps. (wishing I had a belt sander…)

But with about an hour of hand sanding with 80 grit , I arrived at this:

Here it is next to the original killdozer.

The Pescado Grande has slightly deeper concaves than the Killdozer.

Here’s the profile of the killdozer. (I probably don’t need those risers anymore, was testing 105’s)

Here are both decks profiles stacked

Here’s the new concept “Pescadozer” on Avenue suspension baseplates and 90mm Ollin Popocas

Some more contour shots…

The Pescadozer measures 31.5" long, retains the orginal 18" wheelbase and 12" belly width.
The Alva has a slightly wider mid section so visually, the tail looks like it tapers in more than the killdozer, but the tails are identical in width.

This was just an exercise and proof of concept using an old deck I had on hand.
In another take, I know I could continue sanding and rounding further, but for one afternoon I’d say that I arrived at my goal : learning that it’s possible.
If you are after a Killdozer, you can carve one out of a Pescado Grande for around $75-95.
Maybe I can figure out a way to get the outline of the killdozer on paper and mail it to folks who want to attempt the “Pescadozer” cutout themselves too : @b264 @spade ?

27 Likes

Nice work! That looks really great

2 Likes

Spectacular! Yes a scaled dimensioned outline would be great, thanks for this give back to the community… can’t believe you actually pulled it off! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

This has an unspeakable amount of awesomeness :blue_heart::purple_heart::green_heart::yellow_heart:

9 Likes

Lovely! I am planning to do something similar with a YoFace :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Because Bustin did not send me a free Bonsai mini. Now I’ll make a Bosai Fat. Or a Where’s YoNose?
It will be very similar to the bulldozer, just a bit smaller and more pop.

4 Likes

What do you like about the bulldozer so much that you decided to make a clone?

3 Likes

If you’re asking the question… some shapes just gives us the :

10 Likes

I personally like how the “wide” goes way up to the nose. Because how wide it is under my front foot is all that really matters when it comes to going fast on short decks. On most decks it seems like the widest part is too far back.

And also staying under 32" or really under 31.5" means I can carry it by the nose without dragging the tail

6 Likes

That is also what I like about this one. And the usable kick.

3 Likes

yes, it’s also practical, because the curved or pointed bits in front of 99% of decks are unusable!

6 Likes

I am also really happy with the curved old school deck from skate shred. It’s very similar if you move the front truck up by an inch or two.

If only they hadn’t made it narrower towards the nose. But it is still great.

The Powell Peralta Lance Mountain Bones Brigade Future Primitive Reissue is also good when you move the front trucks forward a tiny bit. It’s really wide up front and has a huge tail but still is short.

The Killdozer though seems to appear better at most of those features

6 Likes

Why such a short name for a short board?

Edit: it looks fairly flat. I would miss a good concave and some nose. Or doesn’t that bother you.

I think the @donta42 did a great job with the pescadozer in all aspects. Last thing to do Senderize it!

5 Likes

Form and function! Loved the shape of the killdozer outline at first look. Wide = room for feet! Functional kick tail with Slight sweep up in the nose rocker to give your front foot some feedback. It just simply looks and feels good to me haha! I’m very attracted to the compact and robust nature of it’s contours.

The idea of Cloning the killdozer using the pescado grande initially came about when @spade and I were in conversation about my build. We learned about deckcrafters retiring soon after so I had the idea to test if I could carve one out of a large deck that is still in production (at least I hope Alva is still producing them in good numbers!)

Turns out the “pescadozer” supplied BOTH the more favorable concaves and the outline I love.

I might add the gum rubber layer between the grip tape and deck top as I did on my killdozer too…(The question now is if I should pick up another fresh Alva and do it again on a super clean deck, or patch up these old enclosure holes manually… I have a different single slim enclosure for it…)

And yes, +some custom veneer work and cancel the gum rubber.

6 Likes

Perfection achievement level unlocked!

2 Likes

Do share about your custom Avenue Truck hangars for motor mounting when you have the time - a revolutionary innovation of yours (don’t tell Avenue!), found nowhere else as well! My knees are sore from all that uncomfortable hub wheel riding.

1 Like

Here’s a Google album covering the custom hanger for hub motors.

3 Likes

Good read!
Tempted to check those spring trucks.
Up to which speed do they feel stable to you?

1 Like