Parts for Hummie Build - Thoughts?

makes sense. I don’t have a habit of slamming into curbs :joy:

well… not with that one anyway… I have a few on the wall with a different story

1 Like

One of the benefits of TKP on the new setup is that the wheels should hit first! That crash was a direct hit to the nose of the deck, snapping the drivetrain forward. I hope to never test that theory though…

The answer is @Savage1 TKPs modified for BN M1 gear drives.

Not sure max motor length, but 63mm dia. cans do fit forward mounted under a Hummie. Some rub on max lean but a sanding drum can sort that.

4 Likes

74mm is the max length for forward mounting, but only Maytech 6374s will fit on Savage1 TKPs modified for M1s. All other 6374s will hit the hanger. Reverse mounting is possible only with the 2.2 gear ratio, and the max length should be 6384 for that.

3 Likes

If ya add fubar glass to the route, you can smash into curbs twice near 40mph and once into a curb/pole about 32. At least on a tb40v2(hummie clone)

Bout 5kmi on the deck so far and no delam/cracks

1 Like

For a backward-mounted option, Onsras and any DKPs should be clear of wheel/ motor bite. I believe the adjustable baseplate and RKP hangers from BN with the hangers can also work, but might need to have the back at a 45deg angle to clear the motors.

Picture is mine with Onsra TKPs, lots of clearance but as a result also means my board’s wheelbase is wiiiiiiiide, great stability but lose out a bit on turn radius. @CFzone maybe checking out the BN angle adjustable baseplates could be worth it instead of the normal ones, they give you more angle clearance compared to the static angle ones.

1 Like

Maybe if you top mount those adjustable baseplates it works but as you can see in my pictures the added height does not offer a whole lot

One thing that hasn’t been brought up is the old BN adjustables were about 5-7mm taller than current ones. That plus as what @MacKeeper28 said, they accommodate 6384s forward mounted, makes them ideal for this situation.
Deck/enclosure/road clearance is such a cunt on these style builds, but is pretty satisfying once it gets sorted.

2 Likes

Yep, had to drop through the adjustable baseplate to make it sit at the same height as a top mounted non adjustable.

Sexy hummie build for reference OP :wink:

4 Likes

A belt drive system would really help simplify your build. Dialing in the motor mount length will eliminate any kind of motor clearance issues. Here are a few pics from some brand new builds that I’ll be selling soon.

7 Likes

May I suggest massive ass wheels? I have a Demonseed with RKP but 8" tires I used to bounce off walls when I was bored

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Brackets seem like a decent solution, I’ve come across these online: Longboard Pump Bracket | Wheelbase Extender | Drop Through Setup
Any thoughts on these ones? It’d solve most of my clearance issues I reckon.

Those will probably work, or look for stuff made by @IDEA here on the forum

1 Like

Hey, quick question; what hanger size are you using in this build? And what motors? Considering giving up on the 6384 dream and going with a smaller motor size, probably 6355.

2 Likes

I’m using 250mm TKP hangers and 6374s. It’s the same combination I said wouldn’t work further up, but I had this set of hangers modified to accept the larger motors.

6355s might help your situation some, but if I had to change one item on your build list, like others have said, it would definitely be ditching the gear drives. Using long reverse mounted belt drives such as the XL mounts from Boardnamics or some of @IDEA’s mounts would allow you to have narrow hangers, large motors, and one of the lowest possible boards in esk8.

Trust me, I get wanting gear drives! They’re super cool, loud, and appealing, but their low center to center distance makes building a low rider thane board incredibly difficult. I definitely wouldn’t recommend trying to deal with them for your first DIY. I’ve gone through a ton of heartbreak having to rework parts of my build because of the clearance issues they pose.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, and thanks for the warning about the gear drives. I’ll definitely keep that in mind, and yeah, you’re right, I do want gear drives for the reasons you mentioned, but I realize it might not be workable.
I’ll definitely ponder with all the info in this thread.

1 Like

Belt drive has another advantage
You can change the wheels for bigger ones thanks to this your board will be more versatile.

3 Likes

Wat is The name of this Deck?

Deck doesn’t have a name because I currently have only one type in my offer but if you want a name I can call it SuperDeck :smiley:

More information on this can be found here

1 Like