Ownboard Zeus Discussion

No problem. Ive had it for 2-3 weeks. Awesome board. I’ve only briefly tried a couple other boards for like 60 seconds each so it’s basically the only board I’ve really used. Ive ridden regular longboards forever though. Everyone has really talked up cloudwheels and yeah they are pretty good but just tonight I finally put the stock 97mm wheels and I have to say I love the setup way more. Way. More.
To each their own, but IMO I feel way more connected to the road and confident in turns on the 97mm. Given my longboard experience I feel like I can judge traction limits way better with these wheels. The clouds were great in the straights at high speed and are good if someone commutes to work on a road and dirt path or something. Another happy surprise: I was slightly disappointed in torque with the out of the box setup. Not bad torque, just not adrenaline pumping. I switched to the 97mm and it feels perfect. I kept the 44T wheel pulley on, and it still hit 30mph. Let me know how you like your Zeus!

2 Likes

Yeah cloudwheels take a while to break in and still aren’t incredible for grip or turns

Thanks for your feedback!

2 Likes

Thanks again for the input. Much more info here than some stupid YouTube “reviewers” videos. Would you mind showing the 97mm PUs on your board and the clearance of the motors/guard area? Just wondering since I know they are unusually low to the ground. I guess regarding not enough torque/etc, you can always substitute the ESC to a VESC based so you can squeeze more amps from the pack to the motors. I like the potential of fiddling around with the current stock setup when I will eventually get tired of it. I don’t know but as we get older, the more slower we tend to ride I guess since we don’t heel as fast.

PS Just ordered mine and it’s going to be a good long 40-45 day wait!

This is kind of an urban myth in the esk8 world. I don’t know any PU wheel except Boosted 105s with more grip than the Clouds.

1 Like

I have cloudwheels, I’m saying this from experience

For me its: Pneumatic, Onsra (rubber), Urethane, cloudwheels

The contact patch is small and they just don’t fair as well imo

2 Likes

do you have data to support this? Sounds like an outlandish statement given the zoobomb 111 and tb110 or the Momentum wheels im currently testing

1 Like

Cloud wheels definitely get better once you flatten them

2 Likes

No problem. I’ll try to take a pic later. When I bought it I asked about the bash guard and ironically they recommended against it when purchasing the street+cloud version due to clearance.

As for the VESC swap I’ve seen a ton of responses about it on both sides of the fence. I’d love to throw a ubox or stormcore in there too, but many people such as @jack.luis have the opinion that the battery used in the Zeus, while large with long range, has a low discharge current rating (idk if I’m saying that right), so a vesc wouldn’t be able to improve performance much if at all. I would love for an expert to let us know for sure and explain. I’m a noob so idk who to trust. Maybe @jack.luis is an expert? Is there a wiki here about how to identify the biggest bottleneck in the system and assess if swapping a part would improve performance? Unfortunately the battery is probably the only cost-prohibitive part that I can’t afford to replace. :frowning:

1 Like

Lol I don’t think he has one, but most of us are familiar with the cells in the Zeus, and the Hurricane has higher discharge cells than these

Some people say you can experience voltage sag on the stock ESC, meaning that upgrading to vesc on the zeus might not do you much good without a battery swap

Not really, it’s too nuanced to just be cut and dry like that - it depends on each setup

2 Likes

what @ShutterShock said

3 Likes

Don’t know about the new 111s but the 107s have definitely less grip for me. The 110s are similar im grip level, but I don’t like the soft outer edges for slides since there is no consistency in grip. They grip, grip, grip and then you loose them. Clouds are more progressive. The Momentums are similar to the Bossted 105s and I’m sure they have more grip as well, but I’ve never ridden them and they are not the typical PU wheel, too. I also didn’t test the Wind Wheels so far. I’m quite sure they grip very good. Generally speaking, Clouds do perform better the heavier the rider is and the more miles they have. I heard about lighter riders which found that Clouds are too hard and not grippy enough. This might be true for new Clouds and riders under 80kg.

1 Like

it also depends on your board setup. Cloudwheels are fine once worn down a bit, and also more predictable in terms of riding in rough terrain in my experience. The 111mm wheels are great on smooth surfaces for sure.

I’m the person that said the battery sags on the zeus. I ride in NYC and i full throttle from stoplight to stoplight. By the time i’m on my 3rd Ave block, I could feel the sag. It doesn’t help as the ave blocks are uphill. I’m also only 130lbs…and very particular with the ride behavior with my boards.

2 Likes

they got a sale going on rn
price 1399 / 1549 / 1649 for different options +100 for light, and deck type doesn’t change price

4 Likes

Damn…would i still prefer the overall board over meepos p42a pack?

1 Like

if u don’t need the extra headroom the p42a pack meepo has for DIY usage, the zeus is also a good board to get.

buy it bro

1 Like

I finally want i board where I’m not limited by the battery on what i can do. I believe the zeus limits me more than the meepo already does.

1 Like

both are great board, meepo is just more DIY friendly, i think

And 100$ cheaper…

Damn I just ordered 2 days ago can i Cancel?

1 Like

worst case is that you can build your ZEUS with your own DIY P42A/P42B (later on) for better acceleration with giving up range.