Ownboard Zeus Discussion

Also interested to know :slight_smile:

1 Like

3 Likes

got a space measurement?

thought the hobbywing esc would be potted, or has a shell in these newer version :thinking:

2 Likes

Credit to @EDness for the pics ofc. Yell at him for imperial not me

2 Likes

It’s potted. Clear epoxy

3 Likes

3 Likes

ah, no wonder why its shiny at some area

did u measure the depth as well by any chance?

1 Like

Nah. It’s got the external heatsink and can’t really measure it.

1 Like

Thanks man!

It’s always interesting seeing how thin the wires are in factory production boards. It can highlight numerous things, not all of which are negative.

3 Likes

I ordered my Zeus a little over a week ago and my excitement is incalculable! It still hasn’t shipped though.
Anyone have experience/advice on approaching vendors like ownboard to ask for their order to be sent quicker? Any tips?
Also, anyone with a Zeus do any mods like the vesc swap mentioned above that they can report on?
I’m already wondering about upgrades and I haven’t even ridden it yet :laughing::joy:

2 Likes

Rode the Zeus today. I love the truck setup!

7 Likes

How’d u like the rest of it?

I like it, it’s fast, gets to 30mph+ pretty quick and can hold it’s own there for a while. Issue is the brakes. Not nearly good enough for a board this fast.

4 Likes

What’s real top speed?

@EDness what is it?

I hit 32 on it, the unweighted top speed is 37 so I’d say 34 on the stock setup.

3 Likes

34mph out of the box, but they do provide 40t in the box for 37mph.

2 Likes

That’s what I heard. I anticipate wanting stronger brakes and more torque (still waiting for mine), which I guess is the same thing in different directions. I’m pretty much a noob, but am I correct that these are ways to achieve that:

Swap to vesc
Smaller wheels
Changing pulley ratios

Am I wrong? Missing anything? What do I need to consider when deciding between these things? I’ll also browse the esk8 mechanics thread

1 Like

Yup that’s correct!

Again yup, those be your options. I think the only other things to consider are smaller wheels usually get you a less comfortable ride, and that gearing for the lowest top speed you need gets you better efficiency. If you only need 25-30mph top speed, adjust the wheels or gearing so that that’s as fast as it will go.

(This bit isn’t essential but mini-explanation for the efficiency part). Eskate gears multiply the torque produced by a motor, and divide the speed by the same number. If you have two boards with one geared 1:2.2 and the other 1:2.8 and they both want to accelerate hard to get off the line, the 2.8 one is gonna have an easier time. For that board the motor torque is multiplied by 2.8, so the other board is going to have to push more current through the motor to keep up. The 2.2 board gets a higher top speed, but if you’re not using the top speed then you’re just working harder for all the speeds up to that point and wasting power.

1 Like