What up folks, This is my first build and my first post.
Story time, Feel free to skip the next paragraph if you just want to get to the build.
I guess i have to start from the beginning to explain what this is and why i did it. I was an esk8 owner for about 3 years, in which i put a total of 12 miles on my first board. My board was more of a mobility tool than a recreational thing, and i wasn’t getting a ton of usage out of it, i did have some fun with it though. Since it had been some years since i bought my first board, there was a lot of new stuff out there to choose from, and i figured it was time for an upgrade. During my research i discovered esk8 culture! I thought I was alone out here messing with electric skateboards! I ended up buying about 6 boards in a very short time, each one brought cool and different things to the table, but one thing they all had in common… range anxiety, all the boards i owned had little 10s batteries in them, and despite what the manufacturer claims, the best i could do on these things was 11 to 14 miles and 24mph. Generally speaking, that’s plenty of performance, but after having discovered weekly group rides of 30+ through Washington DC, that range wasn’t really cutting it, and i hated having to go home early with a dead board. I needed to figure out how to go farther, and while i’m at it, faster. Of all my boards, The Ownboard Carbon wasn’t exactly my favorite to ride, but it was the most stable at speed, the most solidly built, and the best looking being a sleek carbon fiber unibody, and being so long it had plenty of space for a bigger battery. I also like the torque of a belt drive, and I was able to reuse the stock belt drive system, that would be costly otherwise.
note: I didn’t do a great job with photos because i had no intentions of documenting this build.
So with the goal on More Speed and More Range in mind, I set out to see how much battery i could fit in here. I had 2 10s3p 18650 battery packs and they slid in the case perfectly with just enough space to tuck wires between, so I knew i could fit 60 cells, so that would either be a 10s6p or a 12s5p with 18650 cells. 21700 cells would be out of the question. I knew i had to account for the BMS and ESC, but i knew those could be mounted externally, so i wasn’t really worried about where to put it at the moment.
There is a slight raised ridge around the ESC area that i was worried about and prepared to cut and shave, but it turned out not to be an issue.
Here’s what the inside of the deck looks like. (boundmotor sells the same deck)
While I waited on my battery from Duck, I set out to solve the problem of where to put the ESC and BMS. I really hated to disrupt the sleek unibody by mounting external enclosures, something I loathe, but what choice did i have, at least going underside it wont really be visible.
After carefully measuring the stock ESC Heat sink and my FocBox, I designed an enclosure that i could mount the stock Heat sink to. To fit the focbox inside, i shaved off the silicone on the sides and it was a fit!