Optimum Vesc settings?

30q 12s6p…

1 Like

Battery amps should never go over the rated spec. 30q are rated 15amp but we run them at 20 because we are all mental and need our heads examined for even considering building these things but I digress, they run fine at 20 according to mooch and I can testify to that fact having 4 30q batteries all running at 20 amps a pop. Motor amps are a different beast entirely because they differ with everyone. In summer I can run my 80 amp rated sk3’s at 80 amps. In winter I can take that up to 100 so again environment plays a part. I also run pretty hard in a hilly place so its quite a good testing area. The hills really up your temps. A hot motor is fine so long as its not too hot or the stator saturates and you don’t gain anything.
I set the motor amps to below the rated spec and up it in small increments if its not satisfactory while checking temps. There is also throttle curving to consider too but lets get the basic stuff ironed out first.

Its funny but you kind of get a feel for the motors after a while and know when your increases are not actually providing any benefit. I say get the current sorted first because if you try to play with all of it at once it can be very confusing and you end up having no clue what did what.

3 Likes

Ok thx…that helps a lot. Motors are rated at 80A TB 6380S 170KV. I gained crazy weight over the winter so until I slim up for summer I think I’ll start with 60A batt. And maybe up the motors to 75A. I’m on a Unity… fyi

2 Likes

So that would be 60 per motor or overall? Overall would be a bit limp.
75 is a good place to start with motor wise. If it comes off the line like a lunatic then take it down a few. 170 is a lower kv than I use so you are going to have some good torque there.

It really is a suck it and see type thing brother. Get out there and test it and set it up accordingly.

Any time pm if you get stuck or some weird vesc tool thing occurs. If I don’t know then I definitely know a man who does.
Good talking to you man. We older chaps need to stick together. There are young people everywhere in here

Quick edit. Battery and motor min do the same thing with the brakes.
Battery min high end brakes
motor min low down brakes.
Be careful with battery min when you are going fast you don’t need hard brakes

6 Likes

I run 60bat/60motor and 80bat/80motor with Unity and TB DD 70Kv. No issues at all but I’m only 150lbs.

I use a metr to switch the modes when I want to. I don’t think my Unity has gone over 55 degress Celsius ever.

2 Likes

The unity is over all I believe so 30 per…

1 Like

Yeah you can wack that up if you want but try it and see. I tend to be a bit “its what i do so you will be fine” sometimes. I have been riding these silly machines for over 3 years so take it at your own pace and set it up for you.

3 Likes

I’ll have to remember that…thx again bruh

Charging or discharging a battry harms the battry. That’s why thay have life span. The thing is how much is reasonable. If you can take 2 motors at -60 battry amp and stay on the board your doing a lot better than me I’d be in the bush 5m in front of it.

On a street board with urethan I have -35 per motor (-45 per single drive is max for me any higher and the wheels just skid for me) I see up to battry at -20 amps Reguarly and that’s only for a few seconds.

On a very basi level

To see max battry - = max motor amp- you need to be applying full brakes at max duty cycle With out slowing down. By braking you reducing the duty cycle by slowing down.

During regen the battry needs to see a higher voltage coming back than it has as the time so the vesc steps the voltage up to match

You need to think of it in watts see how thay match below.

Motor sees
Full speed 40v at 40A is 1600W
3/4 speed 30V at 40A is 1200W
1/2 speed 20v at 40A is 800W
1/4 speed 10V at 40A is 400W

Battry sees
Full speed 40V at 40A 1600W
3/4 speed 40V at 30A is 1200W
1/2 speed 40V at 20A 800W
1/4 speed 40V at 10A 400W

Now let’s say the motor amp max is now 80A the battry regen max is 40A (total of 1600W cap)

Motor sees
3/4 speed 30V at 53.3 is 1600W
1/2 speed 20v at 80A is 1600W
1/4 speed 10V at 80A is 800W

Battry sees
3/4 speed 40V at 40A 1600W
1/2 speed 40V at 40A 1600W
1/4 speed 40V at 20A 800W

Now let’s say your been less stupid and not slamming full brakes on from full speed because you don’t want to be superman flying off the board and use use 3/4 the brakes On the remote

Motor sees
3/4 speed 30V at 53.3 is 1600W
1/2 speed 20v at 60A is 1200W
1/4 speed 10V at 60A is 600W

Battry sees
3/4 speed 40V at 40A 1600W
1/2 speed 40V at 30A 1200W
1/4 speed 40V at 20A 800W

Hopefully you see most of the time having a higher motor max than battry max doesn’t affect us much due to the duty cycle that needs to be taken in to consideration and why it’s often said you only lose a little top end braking that has little practical use.

The other argument is how long dose it take to get from full speed to 1/2 duty cycle most of us it takes seconds a battry can happily take few 100amps for a few seconds with hardly any noticeable detrimental affect. The max charge rating on battery’s is ther fast continues full charge 4-6amp per cell. For this reason some say don’t set a max battry regen because we only applying that high amp age charge for a few seconds at a time in normal use

3 Likes

Wow…ok that’s a lot to take in. Thx for this it helps a lot. Gotta bookmark this…Think I need to read up on duty cycle. Theres a thread on duty cycle I remember.

1 Like

Another thing…I’m running on a Unity. 60A battery is actually only 30 per motor correct? It’s my understanding the Unity settings are all totals.

I used the vesc tool not the unity app but battry settings are divided by the motors but motor settings are separate as fare as I know.

1 Like

Trampa thank you for the explanations. I red it many times tried to understand it because English my second language. I’m not really good at it. Anyway, My battery specs 10S5P Panasonic 15ah 50a continuous. I got 6374 from dickyho max 50a

Flipsky dual 4.20 Vesc settings

motor max: 50A x 40v 2000watts
motor min: -30A?
battery max: 25A ?
battery min: -20A x 40v = 800 watts braking power

Are these settings correct? and optimal for my battery. Thanks!

I scanned all of this and am trying to diagnose my own problem…

I currently have brakes at lower speed, but not at high speed. My understanding is that my battery regen needs to be higher??

My motors are set to 30A max output and -30A regen with -4A per motor currently… (Its an AWD hub motor build with a 10s5p 30q battery.)

You answered your own question

1 Like

Dang. It’s just weird that I haven’t seemed to notice this issue until now… time to “plug in and tune up!”

As you stated Q30 are 4amp fast charge 4Ax5P 20amp

common for people to at least double this as it will only be short bursts

20A x 2 = 40A / 4WD 10A batt regen

That should start to be userble but you may want more

This is good news! Thanks!

Going up to 10S6P so I will put the settings to -12A when that comes in!

Just keep uping it to the level you need and don’t be stupid and use you brakes all the way down a big hill. TRAMPA advise you set it to some thing massive like 9999A

Sorry to bring this back up…just wanted to confirm my settings is ok.

10s4p 18650ga cells 40a discharge
FSECS 6.6 mini
6368 170kv (motor detection 51a)

motor current max: 45a
motor current max brake: -45a
Absolute max current: 80a

battery max: 19.25a
battery max regen: -11a