Opinion on turnigy sk8 6374 (130kv) motors for MTB build

Im considering to buy two of these https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/turnigy-sk8-6374-130kv-sensored-brushless-motor-14p.html?wrh_pdp=3

for my MTB build since they would be almost the same price as one unik 130kv motor with shipping.

There are plenty of steep hills in my area so the low kv seemes suitable with a 15T motor and 66T wheel pulley.

Any experience with these motors? Would you recommend them? And how do they hold up?

1 Like

Rumor has it they are not spectacular, apparently they get really hot fpr their size

1 Like

Those are rebranded maytech motors and they are reliable

@taz can weigh in here

I’m about to order sk8s to replace my sk3s , I’m really interested - I want sealed since I’m adding haggy wheels not really interested in the sensors

2 Likes

The 149kv version I have are ok. They tend to get hotter faster than the maytech but I am not sure if that is actually the case and not just due to a different beta value.
I prefer the maytech though since they feel stronger.

2 Likes

Enough to make additional cost worth it?

IMO yes.
The maytech are also shorter and lighter.

The sk8 have a longer shaft and a keyway on the bell.

Both are good motors and both have advantages and disadvantages.

4 Likes

I have the sk8 6374’s @ 192kv and they’re great. yeah they might get a bit warm but man they’re strong. @Dareno would probs say the same

3 Likes

I had the first generation of sk8’s and they had a few issues with sensor pcb’s and bad bearings but the replacement set were very good. Hobbyking address issues very quickly. They run slightly hooter than the sk3 of the same kv though. I just put that down to a sealed can.

3 Likes

I ordered 3 sk8 149kv, I had a bad experience with Maytech 130kv (but I really love the power delivery of low kv)… I think for the price of two sk8 you can only buy 1 of the other brand, and battle hardened is simple to do and not expensive…So, if you want torque keep it low (kv)…

1 Like

I bought in past these:

They are 6376, and never had an issue. Perfect for a small AT.

2 Likes

just make sure you use the brass collar over the motor shaft. otherwise the can falls off

4 Likes

The rear bearings implode too. Be nice if they actually included a note or something to tell you what that bloody thing is for though. Don’t tell Hobbyking but thats why my first set lost the rear bearings. Shhhhh!

3 Likes

What were the bad experiences?

A strange pitching noise on one of my motors, started after a 5 kms run. After checking if there was some resistance, which it feels like it was a little against the other motor but nothing that scared me, I went for a test ride. At the beginning everything was smooth, felt confident to push motors to max speed. At high rpm the noise came back…went back to my place, frustrated, and the motor was almost not turning. Later on I opened the bell, I could see that the magnets, most of them touched the stator with visible damage. In the next days I had the time to do a close inspection, magnets were destroyed and in various parts. I removed them and battle hardened, a big pain in the ass because lots of fragments to put back together. The result was not really good. I have Trampa motors, they are rock solid, but I wanted 6374 motors, and lower KV at that time…The sk8 motors I bought them for a hybrid build. If they run good, I might get some 130kv for my mountain board (instead of buying 2 Maytech, I bought 3 sk8 so I can have a spare motor for a great price). I am from Buenos Aires, therefore I have to take special care on what I buy, there are not many options to get spare parts here…Hope I explained, but buying a motor is a bit of luck, I prefer luck to be a little bit cheaper and reliable. It is just my experience and thoughts…

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation! Maybe your were unlucky yes, im gonna do some more research before I decide

1 Like

Could you report back on this :slight_smile: . I think that would be a good conclusion to this topic. I am also considering buying these but have only heard good things. But want to make sure they work well, since they are going on a mtb. So they have to be rock solid in terms of reliability. Just one question where should you put the brass collar? Between your motor can and your pulley? I don’t really understand the use of it.

1 Like

it goes on the motor shaft before the pulley.

The bearing have a lot of play on the axis so the spacer keeps it from sliding too far.

My Sk8 motor held up to some heavy abuse. The sensors died pretty early idk why, but the cable does seem loose.

Ah thanks for clearing that up. I wasn’t planning on using the sensor since that’s always the first part that goes. Your statement about your sensor dying proves that hahaha. Do you think I need to battle harden them? Or isn’t that necessary. I will be jumping with the board, so I think that’s worth mentioning.

2 Likes