OLD QUESTION: What is the best VESC on the market that is available to purchase?

So let’s sum it up:

1. Turnigy SK8-ESC V4.12 For Electric Skateboard Conversion w/BEC ([Hobbyking])(https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-sk8-esc-v4-12-for-electric-skateboard-conversion-w-bec.html?___store=en_us)

2. MAKERX MINI FOC PLUS MORE CURRENT BASED ON VESC6 ([MakerX])(https://makerx-tech.com/products/mini-foc-plus-50a-continuous-current-vesc6-compatible)

3. TORQUE ESC BLDC ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROLLER ([DIY Electric Skateboard])(https://diyelectricskateboard.com/collections/esc-speed-controller/products/torque-esc-bldc-electronic-speed-controller)

4. SuperFOC 6.8 50A Speed Controller (Maytech) based upon the VESC ([Eskating.eu])(https://eskating.eu/product/superfoc-6-8-50a-speed-controller-maytech-based-upon-the-vesc/)

As they seem to me more or less alike regarding specs but vary quite a lot regarding price (70-130€) I wonder, which one to go for in a dual hub motor setup with

• FOC
  • 30A continuous and 50A peak on each motor
  • 8S voltage
  • sensored mode

Or should one go for the dual MakerX ((Link) for sparing the wiring effort?

Thanks and best regards!

1 Like

vesc 4 based controllers aren’t the best at FOC (except for focbox). (I think they just die after a while) If you are fine with BLDC, go for the makerx. But if you want FOC and are fine with a meh remote, you should get this:

3 Likes

This one has also proven decent when running at half the specified max battery current.

4 Likes

Doesn’t that FSESC have the issue with the SMT caps? I thought the one with the big side mounted caps is better, I think it’s this one:

4 Likes

Pretty sure the Plus is the better one, but one of them had a stupid issue yeah. My plus is running fine.

1 Like

Yea it’s probably fine at half current as you said, I guess it’s only an issue for people that are actually trying to get the claimed performance out of it…

Yes. These are NOT mountainboard ESCs. These are street ESCs and are only reliable at 60-80 battery amps on 63xx motors.

First rule of ESC: NEVER run them at max stated current. run them at half stated current or less. The unity was likely the only exception to this rule.

2 Likes

I have this version, and I’m one of the lucky ones. Works like a charm, though I haven’t pushed it that hard. Massive, though.

2 Likes

Don’t you guys get tired of failing and underperforming escs?
The way I see it buy once cry once.

7 Likes

Not a lot of ethical choice at the moment.

4 Likes

I bought a flipsky esc once. I cried once.

I will continue to send forth the hashtag

#fuckflipsky

Until the day that i die.

3 Likes

This one based on specs, price and the remote combo has everything we need in most of the case.
Still waiting from reviews. Apparently few unites got bought from some community members.
@John-Spintend is the developer

4 Likes

Sold out before my eyes

well then we will know soon something about it. The guy said he made 50 pcs of them so for sure someone will post.

1 Like

Looks pretty cool haven’t had a chance to do any real testing. Little on the fat side for a single stack unless you cut the enclosure…

According to Instagram comments psychotiller has been testing them as well.

8 Likes

Ah Woow! Finally someone got it. I really hope they perform as advertised.

1 Like

Do you use it in FOC mode oder in BLDC? For how long?

I am a little bit insecure about flipsky as so many of you have reported about defects. But I would use it for 8S and 60A continuous Motor Currents (dual, so 30A each, FOC). So actually far away from its maximum

1 Like

To be clear, i’ve broken every ESC I’ve ever tried, including one unity during beta testing. That one turned out to be ok after it was scrubbed and reflowed, but we’ve blown up everything. Including an ARC200.

2 Likes

if you had to choose between unity or this (performance wise) which would you choose?

I don’t know Spintend from adam, but that thing is built like an off road ESC. I haven’t tried them yet. It definitely would not fit in one of my witchblades, its 44mm tall.

3 Likes