OhMyKase! • First shorty kicktail build

This is key imo, it’s nice when one has two or more builds to tinker on.

I think my problem is my desire to keep wanting to try new parts lol

1 Like

Exactly, same here. It runs great… but what about that shiny new thing

2 Likes

I have a weird obsession with keeping old boards that don’t run anymore just because I might want to restore them one day. Not with new shiny parts, but with the original ones.

I’m weird about preserving things…

6 Likes

looks super clean !

1 Like

Might print one of these just for fun, although it may be a tad big :laughing: Would be easy to pull it out I’d assume

1 Like

My MakerX DV6 showed up today so I did some work on the board. Got the components fastened in place in the enclosure, drilled and mounted the charge port, mounted my VX4 receiver, and also drilled and installed the grommets for the motor wires. I cut some neoprene foam to help keep the battery safe as well. Note to self - get a fuse for the fuse block on the charging port.

For between the enclosure and deck I cut a piece of 3mm rubber. I oversized it by a few mm all the way around. First issue I ran into now is the enclosure does not want to flex as much and fit to the deck smoothly because of the thick battery inside. What I think I’ll attempt is tracing out the enclosure (unless I can get a CAD drawing) and print a gasket to fill the gap (around 8-10mm thick). Most likely out of TPU to keep it malleable. If that works I may not need the rubber gasket sheet but we’ll see. Then, on to drilling and installing the inserts.

I also tested my loop key with the battery/ESC and it’s working great so far.

(Phase wires sticking out the holes just to keep them out of the way for now. They’ll be tucked inside the enclosure, and the motor wires will be fed through the grommets)

5 Likes

Brass knuckles are illegal in 38 US states, including Massachusetts.

1 Like

Oh yes, I know, was mostly a joke

1 Like

The law don’t say nuthin bout no PLA knuckles

4 Likes

True - the PLA will shatter before anyone’s bones do

2 Likes

And thus, Safety Knuckles were invented, allowing people to fist fight without breaking too many bones.

3 Likes

sounds funny but that’s basically what boxing glove are

3 Likes

So you are saying boxing gloves are like condoms for fighting?

Also, because i dont want to run in with bullshit on this build tbread, i love the work you put in! Build looks clean! Cant go wrong with kegels or caguamas! Also im glad people are going back to less wide trucks and 6355’s

4 Likes

Haha all good. I don’t mind the goofy shit. Was supposed to install my motor pulleys that were being delivered today but a snow plow truck backed over our mailbox and the mail truck just drove right on past it. Bummer.

Edit: I’m dumb and didn’t realize they were coming UPS so they still showed up. Will try and get ‘em on later

4 Likes

I mean, I couldn’t not print one…

6 Likes

Did a bit more work on the board while waiting for more parts. I decided to flip my DV6 around 180° so the phase wires point forward, so when the motor wires are fed in through the grommets and connect (5.5mm bullets) the ESC and motor wires aren’t as crammed and pushing the wires at hard angles.

I mounted my 16T pulleys… not permanently… but mostly so I don’t lose them :sweat_smile:. I have some BN 40T Kegel pulleys en route from @fujio001 and once I get those I can determine the final resting place for the motor pulleys. There is no key way slot on the motor shafts, but two flat sides to tighten the grub screws against. Should be fine.

I started messing with a neoprene gasket to help fill the gap. Tried using some (@b264 you’ll love this) 4/5” thick stuff I have (so 20mm) but it turned out to be too thick, and cutting it sucked. I got some 1/2” thick (12-13mm) stuff that I cut at work today using new razors and a template I drew. Came out much better. Not perfect, but for a gasket it’ll do.

I drilled and installed (6) deck inserts for the enclosure. My first go at doing these and seems ok. Glued using Gorilla clear gel super glue (non-expanding). Will mock up the enclosure and gasket today when I’m home from work.

Since I had all the pieces I decided to give it a whirl in VESC Tool and see what firmware was on the DV6 and run motor detection. Existing fw was 5.02 I believe, but it was giving me errors running input wizard and such. I updated it to fw 6.0 (I know…) and it ran motor detection great and was able to use input wizard. Working on getting my VX4 set up… I was able to get it working using NRF setup, but I’m going to double check things later.

I also ordered a Flipsky V6 Bluetooth module for the ESC because F connecting micro USB cables. Hopefully works ok for iPhone as the description says works with Android phone only? Not sure what that’s about.

TLDR here’s some pictures

7 Likes

1356-percyno-1127119259

3 Likes