Offset Risers - Use MTB trucks on standard decks

So you may have seen @mmaner’s post earlier.

People wanting to run MTB trucks on a regular esk8 deck isn’t new. There have been lots of risers produced to accomplish this.

OKP made some:

And 3DServisas makes a set.

They’re great, and get the job done.

Mike approached me about making a set for him and we brainstormed for a bit. Mike shared this with me at one point:

Which is super-interesting in terms of geometry. Whoever did this - thanks! It’s an awesome idea!

Adapting this was fairly straightforward, but I’ve gone and added some twists to it.

Initially the idea looked like this:

A 3-part riser with removable plates. Something that can be easily manufactured on a 2.5D router table. After playing with it for a while the alpha prototype looked like this.

The alpha prototype beefed up the hardware from M6 to M8, and the plates that attach the riser to the deck and the trucks are 3/8" instead of 1/4".

Sent it off to @mmaner and BEAST MODE appears. Honestly, I’m not entirely sure how he builds these things so fast.

So I’ve started to re-draw some of these and I’m adding some enhancements.

Tweak the geometry

This would leave 15mm of aluminum - enough to install a 1.5D helicoil - and provide a spot to tighten a nut down for extra insurance.

Also, the nose is 4mm thicker. Originally the plates were 1/4", and the nose was 5mm high. Adding the height allows for deeper holes to attach the truck plate to (this is a good thing).

The alphas I sent to @mmaner were 30 Degree wedges. Other angles can be made easily.

25 Degrees:

30 Degrees:

35 Degrees:

Adapters to support the entire top of the truck.

Trampa adapter:

MBS adapter:

Extended deck plates to adjust wheelbase:

At the moment I’m not sure if this would work with drop-through decks. The wedges are 1.25" thick, and I think they would need to be milled down a bit to squeeze into a drop-through slot. They might work on an open nose deck like a hummie.

As always, your thoughts and criticisms are welcome!

27 Likes

Wow, the latest version looks awesome! A combo 30/35 degree set would epic in terms of stability and ride-ability. It’s still largely dependent on the deck for anything over 20mph because of the height and geometry, but this definitely opens up doors to a lot of decks that had previously been impossible to build on in this fashion.

Great job @akhlut, and sorry again for outing you so fast, I honestly didn’t even think about it.

4 Likes

You definitely peaked my interest. Ive been curious to try some mtb trucks without going full emtb… Ferda!

6 Likes

Oh look, something to go on a Haya…

We’ve been in sore need of a cheap angled riser solution, but these look nice and full of features. Are you centering in on a price range yet?

6 Likes

Haven’t thought about it much.

The reasons why this might be spendy:

• The 6061 isn’t cheap at these thicknesses
  • The machining time is fairly long
  • There is a lot of manual work involved per set (12 holes to drill, 12 helicoils to install)

Right now it’s CNY, but once that’s over I’ll inquire as to cost for the wedges. The plates I can make myself.

5 Likes

These look amazing! I see a lot of builds like BeastMode coming!

2 Likes

These are very interesting, great job!
I’ve been thinking about something similar, but in my version the wedges are two 1/2" parallel plates with 1/4" bolts.

Feel free to toy with the idea, this should bring the costs and complexity down (and weight).

1 Like

There a lot of good decks out there with a limited wheel base, for esk8 anyways, that are difficult to build. These wedges make it possible, it opens a lot doors.

Pretty much anything that Moonshine Mfg makes int he longboard category is usable now. Lot so Labdyachtz decks that were previously too small are now usable. Someone mentioned the Haya earlier, that would be an epic build. This should be a lot of fun.

3 Likes

What a cool design. These risers have always intrigued me, but the built in monster truck lift was a little much. Nice use of space and modular design.

4 Likes

It’s making me think of some different deck designs too…

We need to talk! Shit I gotta get my cnc put together ASAP.

3 Likes

These are looking awesome. I do like the look of these short decks with atb setup.

3 Likes

Could this work in reverse; longboard trucks in mountain board deck?

3 Likes

It can, I’ve done it on a LaCroix Prototipo with Surf Rods. The offset will make a little different but I don’t see any reason that would hurt anything.

3 Likes

Yay because I have a bunch of extended longboard trucks I’d rather use than go out and get more mtb trucks

3 Likes

Itll lengthen the wheelbase. And it would be good to know the angles so the trucks are flat relative to the ground.

5 Likes

Damn same thought here I just got adjustable plates for mine then decided to get split angle baseplates instead and add the rubber riser pads. I didn’t like the height of the adjustable and it also put an incline on the plane of the board. Not to mention I had to use tall barrels and it has an extra gummy feel. These look suhweeet.

2 Likes

Did anything ever come of this? I’m interested.

1 Like