🌠 Northern Light | Switchblade with Reverse-mounted Urethane Gear Drives

That actually looks good enough for the type of ledges around where I live. Thanks!

2 Likes

Pic of the current drivetrain abuse:

Decided to expirment with my XTLA Surf rodz mounts:

:thinking:

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

13 Likes

Just don’t wear baggy trousers, and keep your shoes tied!. :grin:

7 Likes

Yeah I have like 1mm of leeway for belt tensioning if I do this. I think I’ll just decommission this build for a month and get your drivetrain. (So now I need the whole thing, not just a front truck :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

But then I had an idea.

With enough ground clearance you can mount RKP trucks the other way round to make reverse mounting easier. And look at that wheel-base now! :exploding_head:

I think I will order some belts and give this setup a try. For science! :scientist:

9 Likes

You know what’s crazy? My gear drive ratio was 14:36, so to get an equivalent top speed with a 48T pulley I need a 18.6T motor pulley :sweat_smile: So if I go 18T my top speed will take a small hit. And I’m already at 190kv motors. Maybe I’ll have to switch to high voltage in the future :sweat:

(Or just go 16:40 for some extra ground clearance.)

2 Likes

Actually, I guess my current motors were actually 170kv because otherwise my efficiency has to be really shit to only get 53km/h top speed

So as long as I swap my motors to true 190kv ones I should be fast enough with 18:48 :slight_smile: (16:44 also very similar)

2 Likes

Are these cells usable in a rebuild using nickel strips after removing them from the modules?

If you want to confirm your motor KV for troubleshooting - this method is fast and easy

How to measure motor Kv with a drill and a multimeter - How-Tos & Esk8 mechanics / How-Tos - esk8.news: DIY Electric Skateboard Forums

1 Like

In my opinion as long as the builder is absolutely sure they are otherwise in good condition, yes. The arc marks can be removed, if not deep, with a Scotch Brite Heavy Duty scrubber pad.

1 Like

Thx much.

1 Like

So this board is going to receive a belt-drive over the winter. I think I might swap from Surf Rodz to Luna trucks as well for some extra width + precision bushing seats. (Or Savage trucks, but I’m currently using them on another build) Question is do I run small motors, or extend the wheelbase so that I can have the motors clear the end of the deck and put some big Radium Reacher motors on.

I know I’ve always argued for increasing gear ratio in the past for optimal motor efficiency, but… If I were to put Radium motors on this build, which would make my Stormcore ESC the bottleneck rather than the motors, how dumb of an idea would it be to go with a very low gear ratio (say 36T : 18T) and a low-kv motor to make up for the torque?

Pros:

• Better belt clearance
  • Better free-roll
  • Better tooth engagement
  • Quieter board because the motor does not spin as loud

Cons:

• More stress on belts when accelerating and braking

Thoughts? Alternatively I could just get a MakerX D60 and get more out of the motors that way…

2 Likes

I’ve ran 125kv motors on 2.6 and 150mm tires and it felt really good. There was plenty of torque and good speed. I also didn’t have to run a lot of motor amps 70 was plenty for low end torque

1 Like