Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

@Kaly is a great dude, funny as hell in person.

@eBoosted is solid as well. I havenā€™t had the pleasure of meeting him yet though.

https://www.eboardsperu.com/product-category/enclosures

@bigben makes the best enclosures but I canā€™t recall if heā€™s made the segmented ones yet or not. If he does, Iā€™d go for his fiberglass ones. They strong.

8 Likes

I got something in the workshop for the Hearo at the moment but itā€™ll be pretty specific to that deck.
Cheers for the big up. :muscle:

8 Likes

Yes, but I was making a point. That point is that asking ā€œShould I go with 10s6p or 12s5p?ā€ should not be answered with ā€œGo with 12s5p, it has more range.ā€ Thatā€™s demonstrably false.

5 Likes

Thanks @Venom121212

1 Like

What foam do you guys use as a gasket? I used some neoprene foam off amazon but they donā€™t decompress. Any suggestions?

1 Like
1 Like

It sucks a lot of random ones donā€™t list their density (duro effectively).

I use the stuff listed above but usually the 1/8" thick variant.

1 Like

Yeah you can use thinner, I just prefer thicc because more room in the enclosure for foam and such

1 Like

Well I donā€™t have huge battery problems :expressionless:

2 Likes

does max motor override max battery. exampleā€¦ if I have max battery set at 50 and max motor set at 60 will the system allow 60A to be pulled even though max battery is set at 50A?

Quick question. My cousin is trying to update his razorx piece by peice as he has a low budget. Could he put an aliexpress Esc like this #Aliexpress AU $72.88 33%OFF | 24V/36V Electric Skateboard Controller Remote Control Dual Motors Longboard ESC Parts Scooters Skate Board Accessories
https://a.aliexpress.com/_s0aQit in and still use the 22v battery and motor? The Esc says it does 24v is this close enough or a really bad idea? If no are there 22v escs out there?

No, because they do different things. At low and medium speeds, the vesc acts a bit like a DC-DC converter: The switching of the mosfets, combined with the inductance of the motor, effectively step down the battery voltage to whatever is required at a given time. It is entirely possible (in fact, incredibly common!) to have more current flowing through the motor, than is flowing from your battery.

That does not mean thereā€™s some free energy, overunity bullshit going on. The voltage is proportionally lower, you are getting the same number of watts. This is why you see people with, say, 40 battery amps and 80 motor amps. At low speed, under acceleration, the vesc will pull up to 40 amps from the battery, and deliver up to 80 amps to the motor, simultaneously.

TLDR; Battery amps =/= motor amps. They are not the same. They are not directly related.

4 Likes

the upside of setting the motor max higher than the battery max is you have more torque available at low to mid speed, without exceeding the battery max

the downside of setting motor max higher than the battery max is the motor max setting sets the motor current and torque at full throttle, but at the higher speeds it takes almost an equal # of battery amps to supply the full motor max, but if you set the battery max lower than the motor max, the result is at higher speeds, you lose some higher end throttle range, and this effect becomes more pronounced the higher you set the motor max above the battery max

see the circled area of the chart below with 100a motor / 60a bat vs 60a motor / 60a bat

7 Likes

ahhhā€¦ok. I see whatā€™s going on hereā€¦thx @professor_shartsis @MysticalDork. Iā€™ll do more reading on the matterā€¦interesting stuff.

2 Likes

this post earlier in the thread sort of explains the concept:

1 Like

M-D 02311 for enclosure gasket

But inside the enclosure to take up space I use any closed cell packing foam from boxes that come in the mail. Pack as much of that shit inside as you can. I usually cut it into strips averaging 1cm x 5cm -ish and stuff them everywhere I can

5 Likes

Good info in here

Can you say if it is top mount or bottom mount? :laughing:

1 Like

Bottom mount!

5 Likes

Extra CNC, hollow axles, yes. After the surface finish they need to go back to the CNC factory. That ads cost.