Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

whats the problem with using wood screws to mount the enclosure? Compared to threaded inserts

Once you take them out/put back in a few times the threads will be pretty wallered out and junk. Justā€¦ not a good idea.
Honestly, I could write paragraphs as to why wood screws should never be used. Iā€™m high and donā€™t want to do that though.

Just donā€™t fuckin do it.

7 Likes

They work great!.. once. If you need to take off your enclosure more than a couple times over the lifespan of the board, youā€™ll wear out the wood youā€™re screwing into, and the screws will strip out, and then you will have a bad day.

4 Likes

yeah ok makes sense. I guess i gotta do the fancy thing

Really? How are they working great with pressure distribution along a polymer enclosure and not cracking it? I guess if you have pan head wood screws with hex/torx/Robertson driveā€¦

At that point, use a fucken insert

Start a build thread and c+p your problems there.
Youā€™re problems are not quick answer solutions and the replies would get lost in this thread

1 Like

Itā€™s not fancy. Itā€™s modularity, repeatability, and functionality. Theyā€™d eventually vibrate loose. To solve this, we use adhesives, metal, and threadlocker.

Adhesives meaning itā€™s good practice to put the slightest drop of something on the outer threads of the insert as you seat it.

1 Like

As said before, chuck up a build thread and people could probably help more. Perhaps say where youā€™re based too as there may be some helpful peopleā€¦

I was making use of hyperbole. Wood screws are no bueno for this application, that has been established.

1 Like

Oh, I was actually agreeing with you on the fact that they can work nicely as a one time thing. I just made the presumption that the average personā€™s idea of a wood screw is a self-countersinking kind, which would mostly wreck an enclosure. Iā€™m just urging that if somebody is lazy enough/otherwise wants to use a wood screw, to at least get a pan head/other sort of flanged variant.

This is what happens when 50% of work for the past 6 months is being one with the McMaster catalogueā€¦

1 Like

I use drywall anchors. Fight me.

1 Like

I was thinking about using clamping toggle lock clevis pins the other night (along with neoprene gasket, all of my stuff has that tho) as a tool-less quick release enclosure design.

Someone had a flip open top mount box that looked cool that utilized those. I liked the ease of access with one piece of metal hardware.

So, is there such a thing as a DIY scooter forum? (think bird scooter). Someone asked if I could build one, I have no clue where to start (if there exists e-scooter chassis etc?)

1 Like

I donā€™t know of a specific forum, but weā€™ve got some good info here on power systems (batteries, BMS, ESC, that stuff) that is relevant, and endless-sphere.com is a general EV community covering everything from cars to bikes to scooters and beyond.

There are so many ways to build an electric scooter - Hub motors like Bird does, or belt drive, or chain drive, friction drive, and many sub-variants. It all depends on your level of skill, ability to fabricate, access to fabrication equipment (welder, sheetmetal brake, drill press, lathe, mill, the list goes on forever), budget, and requirements.

1 Like

This is just kind of a thing I wanted to attempt for a friend, so the budget is not very high. The biggest hold back for me is the frame/chassis. I donā€™t mind fabricating things like motor mounts and adapting various parts, batteries/escs are no problem for me either, I just didnā€™t know if thereā€™s a place to get rolling chassis for electric scooters as I donā€™t really feel like fabricating an entire frame. Way out of my time/patience.

I think @Riako has a vast knowledge on this. He has built an e scooter for his wife i do beleive?

2 Likes

So say I wanted to turn down the ends of a caliber truck to a cylindrical profile for a bearing to seat onā€¦
Is this wise? How would I go about doing it given my complete lack of actual power tools?
For context it would just be a cm or so off the ends.

Other then battery size/ cell type and type of wheels how are some other ways to increase the range of a board in the build process?
In particular gearing and motor selection.
Say i didnt want a big top speed, 35km/h or somwhere there would it be better to go to a low gear ratio? so theres less power used to get up to sleep.
Also motor selection, if you can get your desired speed from duel 50xx motors is that more efficient then duel 63xx motors? Or do the bigger motors do the same job just more efficiently.

What Iā€™ve always stuck to is the motor is most efficient running at about 80-90% of itā€™s max RPM based on voltage/kV. Running higher battery voltage for higher motor speeds, then gearing it down so that top speed is just a little more than your ideal cruising speed. 50xx might be marginally more efficient if youā€™re not pushing the stator towards saturation.

Although thereā€™s another thread discussing inefficiencies from too high RPMs and what I said are just general rule of thumbs, true for most setups but not all.

2 Likes