Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

My 2 cents is a single motor build with a VESC 4.12 is still cheap as fuck, but super upgradable in the future and very repairable if something breaks

6 Likes

there is that as well! :+1:t4: :+1:t4:

2 Likes

We have some short steep hills where I live. Would a single motor handle them? I’m about 200lb. I don’t care about top end. 20mph is fine.

1 Like

Sure. Go big motor, low kv. Put a 4.12 @ 10S and throw 45A motor, 25A battery at it.

3 Likes

Can you guys let me know if This seems right. I was initially running TB 90KV DD with a 12s4p 1850 Samsung 30q cells. And given it was the 90kV DD I was thinking the torque would be lacking when in fact it wasn’t too bad at all. Maybe just the first few feet and then it was gone. I switched to a 10s4p pack exact same setup and the torque fell off a cliff. Is that expected ? I understand due to 10s v 12s you lose a good amount of V. Is it that drastic? I guess looking more for confirmation. I’m sure when you (math the numbers) it probably makes sense…

Yeah buddy. 20% less volts is pretty significant.

1 Like

Hahaha. Cool I can live with that math. Now I can correlate 20% voltage decrease to how it feels on a board thanks @RyEnd

1 Like

I go up steep hills all the time on single motor builds and I’m north of 200

6 Likes

One of the coolest options in esk8 right now are the kits from BuildKitBoards. It’s kind of a perfect start point for DIY because all the parts are made to work together (mismatches are common and heartbreaking in DIY), everything comes pre-configured like the vesc-compatible controller (single or dual), and it goes together easy but gives you the satisfaction of building without the pain points.

10 Likes

that’s a heads up suggestion!!! at that price point I have more invested in my latest build in a deck, enclosure, and a battery alone!!

2 Likes

My problem is I want to start off with the new Haggy gear drive and Bergs. I’m looking to get it all on the first build. In the meantime I’m still learning.

1 Like

That’s a great problem to have. Nothing wrong with going all out on the initial build if you take your time. Depending on your desired timeframe, some interesting new options in vesc-compatible controllers will be arriving soon.

4 Likes

yes indeedy… I’m holding off on a motor controller for just that reason! I’m laying my hopes on NEO and Torqueboards

@PJBrendel nothing wrong with that set-up… I’m going that same route on my next build as well!~!

4 Likes

I may price out, and start buying parts. I can wait for the new controllers to come out.This way I can spread out the cost over a few months. In the meantime I have my Revel Kit and hopefully my Onewheel will be back from repairs by mid Feb. So I have toys to keep me riding. Not optimum riding in NY lately anyway.

1 Like

3D printed PETG risers; bad idea? It’s going to be sandwiched between other normal risers

3 Likes

I’d try it and not be scared. Risers tend to not fail very often.

4 Likes

The only riser failure I’ve had, the board was COMPLETELY ridable semi-safely and just occasionally (usually after a bigger bump) it’d jerk to one side and a little counterlean straightened it out. Turns out the whole truck was loose on the deck from a smashed riser.

2 Likes

Is there a guide on how to assemble dicky’s motor kit? Some of the screws have very minor differences and i have looked through dickys new motor mount thread and others but have not been able to find a tutorial type thread on how to assemble it.

1 Like

I’m still using my petg riser with no issue. As long as it’s not super tall, I don’t think it experiences much force other than compression.

The big block on the back holds a tail light if you were curious why anyone would shape a riser like that.

4 Likes

@PJBrendel just wanted to weigh in too. I’m closer to 100lb so on the feather weight side but if it is hot and or have been riding for a while can get thermal throttled by the ESC if pushing it too much and will stop climbing hills even for someone small like me. Suppose this has something to do with my VESC being in a pretty much sealed enclosure, but will have to wait till it is warm again to do some more thorough testing of that (can compare with pneumatics up a hill too which I’m curious about).

2 Likes