Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Happens to all of us on the unity, if @longhairedboy canā€™t figure it out, I donā€™t think thereā€™s an easy fix.

3 Likes

for whatever reason at the top of the PWM signal it gets all pulsey and stupid. Pretty consistently.

6 Likes

hmm so how do you guys handle this in general ? im kinda stomped that so many people praise the unity but this diddnt cross me yet :thinking:

Its pretty common problem for bad ESCs, maytech 6.** drop comms on UART while FOCBox is dangerous in PWM. If anyones praising the unity you have my permission to hit them.

1 Like

lol, and everyone continues singing the Unityā€™s praisesā€¦ Iā€™m glad itā€™s dead. I guess the solution is to gear for a really high top speed so you never hit it/are going so fast you die when it cuts out on you.

5 Likes

To be clear, iā€™ve never had one cutout on me. It just does this weird pulsey thing at the top of the signal.

3 Likes

Yeah thereā€™s no cutting it just likes tilts you to one side

3 Likes

Not a fan of weird stuff @ full speed, but I guess it could be worse.

5 Likes

I also get something like this on both my 6.6 dual and Maker dual. (But never with my 4.20 pair.) Momentary freeze on one wheel out of the blue, then nothing for the rest of the ride. No other extenuating circumstance to cause it.

1 Like

probably the best solution for this is to do what we do with the rest of the board: over build and under set.

Gear it faster than youā€™re comfortable with, and set an ERPM limit below the top of the PWM at a speed you actually are comfortable with. Instead of gearing you can also probably use higher KV motors.

For me its really noticable because my current build was until yesterday geared on a 1:4 ratio on 190 KV mortors, so it was topping out within the edge of my comfort zone. Yesterday i went from 15/60 to 16/47 and like magic it no longer does that shit at 28mph.

8 Likes

that kinda puts me in a dilemma, because i specifically got 170kv motors with a 16 / 44 gearing to have somewhat decent acceleration and top out at 47 kmh allready (because city stop and go)

3 Likes

its also not a fool proof solution, youā€™ll still be hitting the top of the PWM signal in a comfortable speed eventually when the board loses charge over the course of normal use.

provided of course that this actually is the cause of the problem, its just my current working theory.

2 Likes

oh well and there i was thinking i could finally feel confident in my board again after all the problems i had with the maytech dualā€¦

guess i will try to fix those 6374s asap to compensate for loss of torque and gear to 18 / 44ā€¦ :frowning_face:

1 Like

i think i might go back and try all of the different remotes i have and see if any of the other receivers behave differently.

At the moment iā€™m using a newer VX2.

1 Like

Is this issue only while the motors are under load? I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever topped out but Iā€™ve never experienced this with the board on the bench. Using a VX1 remote.

1 Like

i only experienced it once today while topping out at 47ish km/hā€¦ not fun to start a wobble there without being prepared

im using the vx1 i made into a puck remote, dont wanna swap it outā€¦

2 Likes

Yessss, I dont think the 5v/3v rails are saturated enough for the problem to become visible when bench testing. But upwards of 90% duty cycle you definitely feel it.

2 Likes

wondering if i should pay more attention to this behavior at half charge and levels below that.

2 Likes

also only happens when topping out ?

1 Like

sure just send pictures first via pm :slight_smile:

4 Likes