Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

does anyone have a decent tutorial on mounting abec wheels i canā€™t find one online. specifically i need to see how abec wheels are normally mounted to adapters so i can see if iā€™m doing it right.

What adapters, specifically? Can you provide photos/video to clarify your question?

+1

I only know because Iā€™ve swapped x things between matrix and surfrodz.

1 Like

where can I find VESC FW 3.65 and higher? my googleing and forum searching is coming up dry

https://vesc-project.com/vesc_tool

I have that but the FW on that is 3.63 my hardwear is 60 and Iā€™m getting a notification that if in high amp situations with that fw using PPM (like I am) it could be cause a stuck throttleā€¦ Iā€™ve never needed to upload a different FW versions that what comes with the tool so Iā€™m kind a floundering around here.

The latest vesc tool available from the website has the 3.66 fw. Just checked. Not sure if that stuck throttle problem has be fixed. You might want to look in the changelog or the github repo.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/PI4JEzjeWos made a video of the problem. Also some pics

fv<k mBoards and Mike beard!

4 Likes

ok real question hereā€¦ what is more or less the range of wh/kmā€™s, for say 97mm urethane on a 1:1 direct drive? and conversely the same question for 200mm pneummies on 4:1 gearing

Loaded question. What is the winding and kV of the direct drive? Of the pneummies? At what speed?

Iā€™m going to say most likely the nummies will edge out the direct drive at crawling speeds, especially uphill, due to efficiency reasons. As the direct drive approaches higher RPMs, itā€™s going to far surpass the nummies on efficiency and rolling resistance.

2 Likes

UNLOADED:

Iā€™m just wondering average ball-park numbers in wh/km for both set-ups

say 97mm urethane on a 1:1 direct drive? and conversely the same question for 200mm pneummies on 4:1 gearin

The pneummies probably as low as 1-2wh/km more than DD at around 15-25km/h and up to 10 or more wh/km at 50+km/h

A lot of low speed, high power acceleration will drop DD efficiency more than geared, in theory it prefers to cruise at closer to its max RPM at a constant speed

2 Likes

I hate to say it, but I think youā€™re kinda screwed - Those pulleys are designed to be a press fit with the appropriate wheels/cores. Those wheels apparently have a different core, which is far too loose of a fit.

I see a couple options:

• get different wheels that fit those pulleys
  • get different pulleys that fit those wheels
  • somehow modify the wheel and/or pulley to reduce play. Maybe assemble them onto the truck (for proper alignment) and then fill the voids with epoxy, with some foam or other filler material in strategic locations to prevent the epoxy from getting to places it shouldnā€™t be (e.g. bearings or shafts)?
1 Like

What is regular? Which of our trucks are you referring to? The spring trucks have a skate truck pattern and two additional 6mm holes that can also be used.

1 Like

Iā€™m not referring to any of your trucks in particular, I just was under the impression that the hole pattern was different in some of your trucks maybe :man_shrugging:

Fuck, iā€™ll look for new wheels. I donā€™t know why torqueboards say they have abec adapters when their adapter doesnā€™t fitā€¦

2 Likes

Theyā€™re great wheels, so also consider looking for a better pulley.

My clouds/iWonder wheels fit perfectly using the same pulleys I was using for ABEC 107s, so you appear to have clone pulleys there.

@cocopufz @BillGordon I just noticed this is for a @torqueboards direct-drive setup, not pulleys for belt drive. I have even less experience with DD, so Iā€™m gonna leave it to others to sort out.

1 Like