Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

The balance plugs are all keyed and line up. Iā€™m just confused as I have two separate packs, so does one become + and one - depending on which side it is plugged into (e.g. the one with three red cables in the 2nd picture is positive Iā€™m guessing).

@Dareno It is a 2x 6s7p (creating a 12s7p) pack (edit: with 30Qā€™s) with no BMS so each pack has its own set of balance cables.

2 Likes

Fuck I donā€™t know! Youā€™ve got a fine rats nest of wires going on! I canā€™t even fathom what you have going on thereā€¦ what Iā€™d do is charge one battery at a time till @Trampa can unfuck that bundle of wiresā€¦ It shouldnā€™t take much longer as Frank has already stated your charger is of limited watts.

1 Like

Lol yeah, hence my apprehension on starting to charge it. I think I will hit up someone at Trampa for a good time where they can talk me through it.

1 Like

Doesnā€™t that charger charge more than one pack at a time? I am not sure of the issue. Should be plugging them in as individuals. Thats how I have always charged my multi lipo packs.

Am I missing something?

1 Like

@Dareno is right. Have you ever parallel charged a lipo?

Iā€™d do it like that, but you have so many jumpers, wires, and connectors that I cannot tell where they go and what they doā€¦ unplug the jumper in your trampa box at the XTā€¦ hook the battery XT to the charger main power and then the battery balance wire to the chargerā€¦ and charge one 6s battery at a time, till you figure out how to parallel balance the two batteriesā€¦ good luck, my eyes are bleeding!

2 Likes

The idea was that I should be able to charge the battery(s) in the monsterbox just like you would if you had two Li-Poā€™s. The battery builder recommended it and I confirmed it should work in this thread The battery builders club

2 Likes

Have a look here: One 6S pack carries the plus pole (balancer 2), the other 6S pack carries the minus pole ( balancer 1)

3 Likes

I donā€™t need to check on @Marsen fine work. He is one of the good guys. Looks like Frank has you now though mate so good luck and get that thing on the road. Maybe get the 2 of them in a pm to help you get through this hiccup because thats all it is, a hiccup.

1 Like

Is 550$ (500ā‚¬), for a build like this with a TB 75kv DD, chinese belt esc, Wowgo 6.4ah battery, some shredlights, 97mm wheels (or TB 110mm for 90$ more) worth it?
He can add an Evo 36 deck for like 65$ more too.

He will be happy for a short time.

But then heā€™ll want to upgrade the battery to one made with better cells.

And then heā€™ll want to use the esc to be able to use the new battery power.

Then heā€™ll realize it all doesnā€™t fit in his enclosure.

Then heā€™ll buy a deck and the enclosure wont line up right on it.

TL;DR The direct drives and 110s are nice but thatā€™s it.

6 Likes

Will resin eat through hot glue? Im using this stuff: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bondo-32-fl-oz-Brown-Fiberglass-Resin-Repair/3371926

Otherwise heā€™s asking 440$ for the direct drive only

is there any tool I can program my unity on a Mac?

1 Like

I canā€™t say for sure, but I was just perving La Croix site and they have unities, and in their FAQ they stateā€¦

If on iOS, we recommend @twanā€™s app (itā€™s in Beta, so you need to download TestFlight to make it work). If on Android, @ackmaniacā€™s app.

YMMV

1 Like

Is there some sort of high-temperature 5.5 x 2.5mm barrel connector? The generic one I used form amazon got very hot very quick at 12s 6 amps. I did not have this issue with my previous connector. Could be the wire is too thin? it is much smaller than the previous one.

EDIT: it got hot at the tip, the small wire did not feel warm.

1 Like

Yah look at that. Ordering some 16awg ones.

1 Like

@Saturn_Corp Mouser has both 5.5x2.5mm and 5.5x2.1mm plugs rated for 8A.

You might want to stock up on other things while there, or shipping will be several times the cost of the plugs. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Good news everybody! I am all up and running, battery charged and VESC configured. Only problem is it is midnight and there was a big cricket game nearby so there are too many people around to take it out.

The major roadblock I had was my Graupner Ultramat 18 not having a Li-Ion option when it should have. I emailed Graupner and they said it wasnā€™t suitable for Li-Ion, they have yet to reply to my email with pictures of Li-Ion written all over the specs and manualā€¦ I had a big breakthrough when I went to their website to investigate updating the firmware and after chucking some German on the downloads page through google translate I found this:

Software update V2.50: LiHV battery type instead of LiIo. Please charge LiIo batteries with LiPo mode and 4.1V charging voltage setting.

What a ball ache.

Anyhow, after that it was smooth sailing. I confirmed a few charging settings with @Marsen and I spent the day babysitting my charger for 8 hours 10mins. A booster is definitely coming after the next paycheck.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

5 Likes

what colour would you get?

• Red
  • Blue
  • Black

0 voters

1 Like

For cheap BMSs that have a single charge/discharge port, is it best to bypass for discharge and use that port for charge?