Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

White is KranK 87a

5 Likes

Riptide bushings in particular make your ride so much better, I use them in ever board. You never know what you’re missing out on until you try to ride without em

2 Likes

Can concur. @anon54720240 Brad @RipTideSports has a very good thread already with some great info and personally helps if you reach out. Customer service is second to absolute none too.

Transformed my evo from a manic riot into a controlled beast.

@Alvin great build choices there brother and I know a guy who can help with some advice on what else you might need.

@eBoosted Alan have you migrated that fantastic thread you did on what all builders should have in their shed/workroom from builders? If not can you do it?

7 Likes

Love that thread, I bought everything and pretty sure I’ve used them all at some point

2 Likes

yeah i was tempted to recreate and go on a aliexpress splurge

2 Likes

Alan didn’t go out and buy all that at once and neither did I but after a few builds there it all is sitting there. It is a great resource for new builders because it saves you from china delivery times on a 2 dollar part.

If Alan is too busy I will with his permission do a re write for this forum.

6 Likes

24/7
:eyes:

2 Likes

If that’s the case you can see it if you inspect the belt, it will have a “warped” part where it’s kaputt. This is a more extreme one, it has two broken parts, but this belt made the same exact sounds. Often they are more subtle and it’s hard to see, but the back will have a warped or pinched part that’s barely noticable, this indicates a kevlar or glass strand inside has broken and further failure is likely.

2 Likes

Just took the belt off. It basically looks like new except the dirt. No bends, kinks,rips etc.

The only thing are some single strands of fiber.

2 Likes

So I am running two trampa vesc and they’ve have been running fine but recently I noticed random cutouts every so often when I was riding
As if one motor was lagging behind and stopping.

I tried redoing my settings and have realised the problem is with the canbus ports as sometimes the vesc tool app recognised them and sometimes not

How can I confirm this and should I just go down split ppm route

Having telemetry really helps in terms of diagnosing unknown cut outs to see if there are faults happening when on the road and to be sure it isn’t something on the receiver/transmitter side of things since it now logs the PPM data as well and shows it when you upload. I am pretty sold on always having a metr module on my boards now so it’s just something I bought up front for my second build (only on number 2 or 2.5 depending on how you count em).

I would get a telemetry module and use that if you want to get more details on what’s happening during the cut outs, just record all your rides and upload once you see it happen again and check for faults in the recorded data along with checking out the PPM input during cut outs.

Regarding split vs CANBus I’ve never ran dual anything so can’t give any hands on but it seems like split is the safer way to go in terms of the VESCs, but not sure how much you’d lose in terms of traction control.

Also if the canbus is just using a JST plug of some sort then perhaps direct soldering those wires couldn’t hurt if you want to try and stick with using the canbus.

1 Like

But is there a way to have telemetry that’s open-source? Haven’t seen one yet.

1 Like

Using telemetry and it doesn’t come up with any errors or anything

But sometimes when I turn board on (now after changing settings) only one motor spins and when I check the metr it comes up with only 1 vesc detected not the second and other times it detects both

Not that I’m aware of… I have been doing work recently on STM32 based devices using AWS IoT core but anyway it’s gotten me a bit more familiar with using UARTs at least for serial monitoring, will see what I can see about making some sort of very basic logger, maybe can use arduino+SD storage or something along those lines for a blackbox logger then could avoid the app development side of things potentially.

Appears doable but apparently need at least a mega for reading and logging 115200bps data https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=86300.0

Maybe will look at using ESP32 or STM32 based devices since they have a bit more headroom and come in small packages (only ATMega chips I’m aware of are pretty big by themselves and ESP32 or STM32 are more capable and still not super power hungry)

Edit 2… this is actually probably a pretty good use case for a pi-zero or pi-zero W, that way have the SD card already and processor should be more than capable and I think only about $5-10 still. A little big but maybe okay if just needed for mobile diagnostics here or there.

2 Likes

Regarding your issue in particular I would see about changing which one is master and which one is slave see if that makes any difference also try switching the module between the VESCs. Other option is switch to split PPM and then do the running metr module on one VESC vs the other and see if you can pin it down to still being an issue with one of the VESCs or if the issue was just a product of the CANbus connection coming loose or otherwise.

5 Likes

K thanks will try changing the master and see problem

Will do right now

2 Likes

Damn that list is outdated, I need to make a complete new thread about it

5 Likes

If the mobile part is done correctly and is open-source, it’s not that bad to store it on a phone but the user interface won’t be all pretty without some work. But if it’s free software then anyone else could do that if they wanted eye candy.

Yah I imagine the hard part is in getting Bluetooth in app on one of the bazillion mobile devices working and just getting an app submitted and maintaining it etc. Anyhow if I can get the data logged to some sort of file in JSON format then easy enough to build a web based interface to load up that data and parse/display it however (basically what metr is doing already but minus Bluetooth parts and would be logging/readonly, could potentially use wifi on pi W to act as little web server to host up the data file and/or ui as well).

Have done some native Android and react-native (targeting iOS primarily) and “ionic framework”, work in the past too, but think would rather just have a web interface to maintain if I’m going to start it since maintenance on all of those is a small nightmare. Someone can always make a native viewer if they want as well.