Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

cheers you got @martinsp in like eu but it will be a month easily

if you want to borrow some vescs from me for the moment then i dont mind

1 Like

I may borrow a single flipsky 4.x from you. Let’s see if i get anywhere with trampa for now

1 Like

yeah usually trampa are quite helpful

Anyone know a place in Europe where to get good enclosures (flexible) ?
I need at least 40cm length x 20cm width and probably around 4-5cm height.

Thanks

@bigben is THE man as far as enclosures in EU goes.

5 Likes

Fine to ask here if you can’t find a thread for it (and being new to the forum good place to pop in and say hello), but take a look in the top right for the magnifying lens icon on the site here and can search for “safety” and will find a few good related threads that you can jump in on as well.

https://forum.esk8.news/t/esk8-safety-what-helmets-and-gears-should-you-use-for-electric-skateboards/

https://forum.esk8.news/t/safety-is-paramount-post-your-safety-gear-pix/

Now the good vesc is giving unbalanced currents fault, with new motor, new everything… £500 in parts and i STILL don’t have something that works.
Should have cut losses a long time ago :confused:

1 Like

Try it with some different vesc if you still get the faults then obviously vesc is to blame
If you do get the faults then make sure the battery is good and there are no issues with that

Otherwise it is motors or some other miscellaneous parts

1 Like

Talk to @seaborder

5 Likes

No issues with the battery/antispark/solder joints. Voltage would drop in rt graphs or things would get hot. And i don’t have any other functional vesc besides these two right now.
Best part is i can’t even sell these now, since i know the moment they see a load they throw out fault codes

1 Like

You can borrow 2 of my vesc to make sure the problem isn’t with any other part

If the problem is the vesc then you can send to someone to fix them or maybe @Trampa will fix

Would you mind me coming to you with the board as soon as i receive and mount an enclosure from bigben?
Should be here tomorrow, probably. just to have all the guts in something for transport. I want to test the whole setup with you and hopefully not burn anything more in the process

1 Like

Also, i doubt there is any situation where trampa would fix it. The refurbished product page says no warranty and on the legal, uk side, there is no part on the site where it says they must work. Just that they were tested (well, they worked for me too, until i stepped on the board) and sold as seen.
Full disclosure that shorted motors is a possibility and i don’t expect anything if it is my fault here

1 Like

Dunno about tomorrow but I don’t mind if you come over giving you the vesc and you can test

Just social distancing…

1 Like

Hey Guys

I wonder because I have seen many people doing it - why do you need to epoxy / putty secure the magnets of a BLDC Motor ? I never had any issues with any of the magnets coming off.

Is it that common ?
And what usually happens when the magnet comes off ? Will the motor lock or will it just make some loud noise ?

Also I noticed my APS 6384S Motor makes a high pitched screaming noise when at around 80% max speed… sounds like a supercharger - thats why I started to think about the magnets falling off and thats where my question comes from - even though I know the noise from the motor is not from a loose magnet but yeah… so any ideas ?

1 Like

No, but neither are car crashes (on a per person basis). You still want seat belts and airbags.

If you don’t have your motor battle-hardened and you hit a big enough rock or pothole to knock something loose, then that motor is fucked. You can replace the whole can assembly if you can get a replacement, but other than that, there’s really nothing else you can do thn buy a replacement motor.

Battlehardening is significantly cheaper than a whole new motor.

That’s usually caused by harmonic vibration due to the unsupported can ringing like a bell at certain speeds.

3 Likes

@MysticalDork

So the resonance is nothing to worry about in the motor right ?

And back to the battle hardening - what will happen when a magnet gets loose ?
Will the motor Lock completely ?

Cheers

The resonance thing is something you can’t do anything about, so it’s not worth worrying over. It’s not a good thing, because it can lead to eventual failure of the attachment point between the can and the shaft, but you can’t stop it short of getting a motor with a shorter can like a 6355, or getting one with a skirt bearing to support the other end of the can, like a Turnigy Sk3 6374.

Pretty much. The rest of the motor will grind the loose magnet into dust, potentially lock up the motor, cause drastic imbalance/vibration, and generally destroy everything. Think of it like your car’s engine throwing a rod. You buy a new engine or car at that point.

1 Like

How do you know what length belt to get?

https://www.bbman.com/belt-length-calculator/