Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Should be 7 pole pairs for a regular outrunner motor. It’s only something different if you’re running something weird or hubs.

1 Like

raptor 2

2 Likes

Okay, disregard the above then. That falls under “hubs or something weird.”

1 Like

Yeah, that’s not a problem.

1 Like

Talk to @ATC, he makes great MTB motor mounts.

yes. thanks.

You can use needle nose pliers to sightly squeeze the male end so the prongs are a bit closer to each other and will slide easier into the female side but if you overdo it the contact will be garbage (can spread them back out by putting exacto in the center of the prongs that make the male side and twist to pushed the prongs outward). Like others mentioned though could be misaligned after soldering, to prevent keep male and female connected while soldering.

2 Likes

How do keyways work on motors and their gears? Are you meant to locktite them?

Nah they go between the pulley and motor and stop the pulley from being able to spin free of the shaft because half the key sit in the pulley and half the key sits in the motor shaft (it basically makes a little lever that is stuck in/on the shaft).

How does it stop the gear from sliding off?

It doesn’t the grub screws in the pulley stop lateral motion but the belt tension mostly holds it from sliding around on the shaft as well. The keyway just makes it so when the motor turns the pulley must go with it.

Some keyways may be so tight with the pulley they hold it on to some degree too but all I’ve seen also have grub screws in the pulley to hold it on the motor shaft.

3 Likes

Makes sense! Thanks

1 Like

I would suggest loctite on the grub screws and anything else with a thread, I believe others have added loctite on the shaft as well I guess it probably can’t hurt but never had an issue with it here.

Can I test run a 6354 motor with my lab bench psu (36V) 3A max with no load/only attached to wheel? Would it be enough power?
Or would you recommend using a Hoverboard battery which at least provides 10A?

Under no load, at max rpm, my esc takes 0.5A/side to keep the wheels spinning. It does draw around 3.5A/side under fast acceleration so keep that in mind

1 Like

Yes, probably as long as you’re not setting up HFI.

1 Like

How do I solder bullet connectors to wire? I seem to do something wrong…

The bullet connector ignores the solder ^^

remember to have flux and heat

2 Likes

So i connected the VESC to my lap bench psu with 30V… I went wizards tab, other motor wizards tab, selected foc, selected 9s battery with 4A max output.

Now i try to read R/L but nothing happens :(((( The VESC blinks but thats it… can some one troubleshoot with me please? It did read FOC settings however after waiting like 1 minute

It doenst stop making the noise, but says done. What should i do?0.o

@xsynatic