Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Pinging @seaborder

2 Likes

If you’re in the uk, i have 2 15t pulleys with grub screws but no key

1 Like

That’s really charming! But I already ordered the second motor mount along with 2 8mm pulleys from @dickyho

He was so kind to send two of them in the package because I accidentally bought a 10mm…
The package with the 2 8mm pulleys arrived In Frankfurt 12 days ago, which is 50km from where I live… Weird but I’m sure it will arrive soon!

Thanks though! Really appreciate it!

What I do need though is a new VESC :(((

Also I live in Germany :slight_smile: I thought I added it into my biography

1 Like

I personally like to get “rosin core solder” so I don’t have to separately mess with flux (most of the time). For soldering onto copper stuff the “Kester 63/37 rosin core” works super without issue really.

Like @xsynatic said heat is key too though I get the iron extra hot and use a big fat tip that will transfer the heat quickly to a big part.

Throw on some sort of eye protection, you’re going to be messing with a small bucket of molten metal.

• Give it heat for a few seconds (maybe 2-3s before starting to spool in some solder) then start dumping some of the solder into the bullet, once it has a good puddle in there I stop adding solder.

• Next tin wire with good amount of solder too.

• Last get the bucket of solder in the bullet molten again (might take a couple of seconds, let it get a little “overheated” then dump the wire covered in solder in there and heat the whole thing again to let it flow well between wire and bullet).

4 Likes

@niklas, so sorry for your experience with flipsky

between your esc and davega, you’re demonstrating to newbies just how expensive cheap products are in the long run

4 Likes

@Halbj613 get this guy an esc if you still have them

3 Likes

Yeah…
I’m scared of how I will get my refund for that VESC… As xsynatic said, you shouldn’t confirm that the order arrived immediately, although this seems nice to the seller at first glance.

AliExpress is with bank payment… I contacted the seller though I don’t think he will refund me if he doesn’t have to ^^

15 days when you order all your parts for your esk8 is nothing…

If no one has a VESC around to sell, I’ll buy this one from Maytech. Maytech seems to be the best Chinese seller for this stuff and their VESC comes with the bullet connectors soldered already :joy::heart_eyes:
I really suck at soldering them…

2 Likes

Very nice write-up. I’m buying seperate flux soon because the rosin core sucks ass (at least for me and my iron) due to the heat burning up the flux and leaving black dirt behind.

2 Likes

Huh I haven’t seen that with the Kester stuff but I’ve only used this one spool of it and some other tiny spool I had before this but don’t recall if that was a problem with the other stuff either. I do have some flux remover that does seem to do a good job with a q-tip or the like for cleaning up any residual funk. Only kind of black stuff I’ve seen in solder has been from melting some of the plastic on wires into the solder but could be just cooking something in the rosin like you said too. I have flux for some aluminum solder I got for repairing lipo cells but really wouldn’t recommend doing that it failed on me a few times after that and is just a PITA (trying to solder onto broken tabs of the cell package).

^^ Admittedly not the best solder work I should have used some tweezers and a magnifying lens or something given how small all the stuff on this is but I think the solder looks pretty clean itself?

Does anyone know what length bolts I should use on TB motors? I know they are M4 but I am not sure how long they are meant to be…:

1 Like

I believe on their site it’s m4x8mm. But then again we can always summon @torqueboards and ask for advice that’s not related to TB130s :eyes::eyes:

EDIT:

2 Likes

It depends on how thick your motor mount is? I use shorter bolts where the screwhole near the phase wires is. 8-10mm is probably the right fit. I can measure it later if needed.

1 Like

Sweet thanks!

1 Like

On another note… not really noob question but which motor sleeving :rofl:

2 Likes

depends on how the rest looks :smiley:

1 Like

What are the pros/cons of A123 LiFePo4 cells?

Can someone please explain the “lower density for higher output” statement above?

Doesn’t matter now… Me being the retard I am didn’t put the cable sleeve on before soldering the MR60’s :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

this is by the way how my solder looks after a few seconds on the iron.

Ewww yah that seems bad… Let me try the same here

Yah I don’t seem to have that happen here maybe just bad rosin in that particular solder?

1 Like