Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Maybe, but those shafts are usually case hardened so a regular HSS drill won’t touch it. You’d have to have a carbide drill or make yourself a flat spot through the case with a grinder or endmill.

1 Like

I suppose he could possibly drill the hole in the can bigger and use a helicoil, the can is probably not hardened

Can I use a 15mm belt on a 12mm pulley or will it not work

Flanged pulley?

1 Like

What do you mean

It is an ollin v1 pulley 12mm in width

Yes, I put a roll pin in one motor doing exactly that

However, after trying many things I recommend this way if you have space for the bolthead. It is better.

@MysticalDork is correct, they are case-hardened and they are situated next to soft aluminum. The only way I can make a hole in that with with a carbide endmill. You have to be careful or it will just walk over into the aluminum. You CANNOT use a drill bit.

2 Likes

We mean, does the pulley have flanges on the sides? If the pulley is 12mm wide and you put a 15mm belt on it, the belt will hang off the sides. If there are flanges where the belt would hang off, it won’t fit. If there aren’t any flanges, then it will fit.

You won’t get any extra benefit from a 15mm belt hanging off a 12mm pulley though.

1 Like

Think this would work for epoxy?

It’s a 2 part epoxy for floors. 709ml part A / 2.66l part B

Maybe…? It’s probably (almost certainly) not as strong or rigid as a proper layup epoxy, plus it will be opaque so it’ll make finding bubbles and ensuring a full wet-out more difficult.
It also usually has a really long cure time - 72 hours or more.

My guess is it will work to some degree, but I’d have to do tests before I trusted it.

1 Like

I thought the same. At 72 bucks to test it wasn’t worth it. But cure was only 24 to 48

1 Like

In addition to that, the hanging side would want to pull off and even if it didn’t it would eventually cut through the belt because of the edge of the pulley or wear down the edge of the pulley. Bad idea overall

How many poles are KooWheels?

@ZachTetra o idea. I never opened them since they started existing. That’s probably what has kept them alive with my style of “idfc, you’re going in the pool”

1 Like

how many poles in a maytech 6374 190Kv motor. also how can you tell if the torque board 2.4 GHz remote is low on battery?

Lol fair enough, I’ve got them running with my FSESC and a METR module until my MayTechs come in as a test, they have a bench speed of 60.4mph RN…which is definitely a bit off

@ZachTetra I’ve only ever ridden them with chinesium esc. Dont know how I would manage to set them up in a vesc. Wish I could to up their potential speed. Most I’ve gotten out of these with chinesiums is 38.15km/h

These ran on a cheap controller, a Unity for a short time, back to the cheapo, now to a FSESC, and soon back to the cheapo…never hit 22mph (38km/h?) but that’s mostly because the battery has 5v of sag in the first 10m of riding

You will need the following tools probably

• drill w/ bits
  • soldering iron
  • heat gun
  • cutters/wire strippers
  • skate tool
  • hex tool set/screw drivers
5 Likes

Idk if it’s technically a tool, but every color of loctice is pretty much necessary

3 Likes

You will also need a bunch of materials

• loctite in many colors
  • heatshrink in lots of sizes
  • solder with flux
  • extra nuts and washers
  • all the silicone wires
  • a variety of connectors
  • foams/rubbers for padding
  • silicone to seal things
3 Likes