Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

I thought the same. At 72 bucks to test it wasn’t worth it. But cure was only 24 to 48

1 Like

In addition to that, the hanging side would want to pull off and even if it didn’t it would eventually cut through the belt because of the edge of the pulley or wear down the edge of the pulley. Bad idea overall

How many poles are KooWheels?

@ZachTetra o idea. I never opened them since they started existing. That’s probably what has kept them alive with my style of “idfc, you’re going in the pool”

1 Like

how many poles in a maytech 6374 190Kv motor. also how can you tell if the torque board 2.4 GHz remote is low on battery?

Lol fair enough, I’ve got them running with my FSESC and a METR module until my MayTechs come in as a test, they have a bench speed of 60.4mph RN…which is definitely a bit off

@ZachTetra I’ve only ever ridden them with chinesium esc. Dont know how I would manage to set them up in a vesc. Wish I could to up their potential speed. Most I’ve gotten out of these with chinesiums is 38.15km/h

These ran on a cheap controller, a Unity for a short time, back to the cheapo, now to a FSESC, and soon back to the cheapo…never hit 22mph (38km/h?) but that’s mostly because the battery has 5v of sag in the first 10m of riding

You will need the following tools probably

• drill w/ bits
  • soldering iron
  • heat gun
  • cutters/wire strippers
  • skate tool
  • hex tool set/screw drivers
5 Likes

Idk if it’s technically a tool, but every color of loctice is pretty much necessary

3 Likes

You will also need a bunch of materials

• loctite in many colors
  • heatshrink in lots of sizes
  • solder with flux
  • extra nuts and washers
  • all the silicone wires
  • a variety of connectors
  • foams/rubbers for padding
  • silicone to seal things
3 Likes

@ZachTetra With the koowheel battery, I have 5 minutes of 23mph before dropping to 22mph. When I hit 10% battery left, it goes down to 14mph until it dies and then only brakes.

My best tools are a pencil and paper. Everything single thing will work better if planned ahead. Every wiring I did was drawn first to make sure I wasn’t screwing up something or had forgotten to put a fuse somewhere (@b264). If you draw it first you can refer to it later when building and even after if you need troubleshooting :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve got a off brand 10s2p, at 10% left it goes below 7mph because it only gives 1 or 2 amps. I hate it

1 Like

@GlitterSpitter A multimeter is also pretty much a necessity for working on EVs. Doesn’t have to be a multi-hundred-dollar Fluke, but without some way to check continutity, current and voltage, you’re effectively blind when troubleshooting.

@drone001 7 pole pairs, 14 magnets total. Dunno about remote.

@ZachTetra Ride your board, get a GPS speed measurement and then change the number until the calculated speed matches your GPS speed.

6 Likes

thx much…

Hi, I’m currently building my first board, but I have a weird noise in my motors. Does anyone know what that is and how to solve it?

My current motor configuration:

Sounds like theyre cogging . Usually happens to me when I give a very slight push on the throttle. Is your photon well calibrated and centered properly?

2 Likes

Disregard this comment, oops

How do you check kv on unknown motors?