Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

awesome ! Thx for the inspiration :wink:

1 Like

Sounds okay couple of things to note though. 12S is pushing it pretty close to the limit of the components on the PCB so 10S is usually a nice safe middle ground (generally enough speed for most people at this voltage with the right kv motor and not getting as close to the component limits). Think general consensus is around 245kv motors or above then 10S is good. If running 190kv or lower then 12S can work and be relatively safe with regard to max eRPM the MOSFET driver needs to open the gates for power to flow through each coil (above 60k eRPM is known to blow DRV8302 chip on older VESCs the newer ones I think use a different version of the DRV but still wouldn’t push my luck with this)

Oh also regarding cells in parallel this just comes down to max discharge of the cells in question and the max discharge you want to set on your battery, also more cells in parallel less draw from any cell so less voltage sag while the cells are having amps drawn from them (under load).

2 Likes

I prefer 190Kv on 10S

3 Likes

Currently running 190kv on 10s and loving it. Only upgrading to 12s for the offroading and big hills.

7 Likes

I have that with VX1 and a METR Pro on dual hubs at 10s, it’s running as smooth as can be so far

1 Like

Are knots in a wire ok As long as they are not tight

I would like to know for the phase cables

Why would you want a knot in your cable :thinking:

2 Likes

Because I needed an extension cable for the phase wires but with the extension cable it’s to long

Can I zip tie or knot it

Yes you can zip tie it as long as you don’t make it so it cuts into itself.

Knotting it will just look ridiculous and janky imo

1 Like

K thank you

@b264 would you be able to drill a hole through the axle where those set screw goes in? Then you you can put in a long bolt right into the axle

Maybe, but those shafts are usually case hardened so a regular HSS drill won’t touch it. You’d have to have a carbide drill or make yourself a flat spot through the case with a grinder or endmill.

1 Like

I suppose he could possibly drill the hole in the can bigger and use a helicoil, the can is probably not hardened

Can I use a 15mm belt on a 12mm pulley or will it not work

Flanged pulley?

1 Like

What do you mean

It is an ollin v1 pulley 12mm in width

Yes, I put a roll pin in one motor doing exactly that

However, after trying many things I recommend this way if you have space for the bolthead. It is better.

@MysticalDork is correct, they are case-hardened and they are situated next to soft aluminum. The only way I can make a hole in that with with a carbide endmill. You have to be careful or it will just walk over into the aluminum. You CANNOT use a drill bit.

2 Likes

We mean, does the pulley have flanges on the sides? If the pulley is 12mm wide and you put a 15mm belt on it, the belt will hang off the sides. If there are flanges where the belt would hang off, it won’t fit. If there aren’t any flanges, then it will fit.

You won’t get any extra benefit from a 15mm belt hanging off a 12mm pulley though.

1 Like

Think this would work for epoxy?

It’s a 2 part epoxy for floors. 709ml part A / 2.66l part B

Maybe…? It’s probably (almost certainly) not as strong or rigid as a proper layup epoxy, plus it will be opaque so it’ll make finding bubbles and ensuring a full wet-out more difficult.
It also usually has a really long cure time - 72 hours or more.

My guess is it will work to some degree, but I’d have to do tests before I trusted it.

1 Like