Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

will try

1 Like

I guess one potential issue is that you don’t know which side is in and out. Tbh I’m not sure if that matters in this case so someone else who knows more about mosfets is gonna have to chime in here.

You need to do a bit of research of DC and AC current. Very simple YouTube tutorials can be found.

AC is what we use in our house holds. Polarity doesn’t matter and it’s an Alternating Current. Depending on where you live it changes direction 50-60x per second (hence the 50hz / 60hz)

DC (Direct Current) is what most battery powered electronics appliances use, including our skateboards. Polarity matters all the time.

DC current is far less dangerous than AC because your body has a higher impedance

You don’t need to know more than that really (I don’t).

3 Likes

the side that has the port for the power switch plug is the “IN” side

yes so the wire colours are right
i believe the sticker was just the wrong way round

i know a little (def wanna learn more)
i thought he was saying in this specific scenario polarity doesnt matter

3 Likes

if that’s the case, @Anubis probably need to check all his stock

5 Likes

This is only true for non polarized devices

Ones that are polarized it definitely matters because the electronics inside depend on the shape of the waveform being correct

3 Likes

Yeah, thx. I’ll check that.

1 Like

Doesn’t that mean that there’s an AC-DC converter inside? Like wall powered LEDs for example.

had a small peak inside and the side saying ‘out’ (on the pcb) had in on the sticker written on it

1 Like

so this is correct

3 Likes

Can confirm

2 Likes

i knew i can count ya

3 Likes

Could be, depends on the device. I would say that 95% of the things I plug in nowadays are polarized lol

If you break it down to the very basics, plugging in a motor into the wall, you could plug it in either way and it would work. Same with light bulbs, however, they have polarized plugs so that the screw part of the socket is neutral and not hot

2 Likes

pic from an old thread that shows which side is which

problem solved :partying_face:

5 Likes

Okay I’m intrigued. I’ve done some electricals around the house and I’ve never encountered a problem. In France it’s usually a brown wire and a blue wire. You can swap them any way over?

Give me an example of an electrical appliances that plugs into a wall, doesn’t use a converter, and polarity matters. Because with my limited knowledge I don’t see how it matters :open_mouth:

1 Like

I’m not saying you can or cannot swap the wires around. Anything that has DC stuff on it wouldn’t like it. However, there are DC devices that have a circuit built in that will make it so polarity doesn’t matter coming in.

As far as I know it just has to do with if there are polarized diodes before the rectifier or not

I did okay in circuits in college but it’s been a while since I’ve actually done anything like that

2 Likes

We also got brown and blue, sometimes black and brown.

I usually just orient myself on which color is the Phase and which is the neutral and connect them that way (and hope for the best)

Lighbtulb:

Lampe-anschliessen

3 Likes

@Mikeyrides

1 Like

Thanks again, friend! You were right!

:muscle:

3 Likes