Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

How much have you tightened your adjustment screws? If you haven’t yet, just turn each one until the bottom of the shockblock raises up a bit to take out as much play as you want. Do both sides evenly to prevent any lean. You can tighten even further up to a max of approx 4mm / 0.15" to pre-compress the shockblocks if you want even more stability before you upgrade to harder shockblocks. If you have further questions or need pics tag me.

2 Likes

How about an offset 5star .

1 Like

Do You guys like the Fivestars because they accept the 9" tires?

4 Likes

Well yea and they are wider. Might as well make the matrix111 alittle longer too. A mbs version of the tramp phatlad would be nice. The 5stars scrub my gear drives and a spacer makes the locknut not fit.

3 Likes

And green! :smiley:

2 Likes

Simple black. I wanted to go the dye route instead of buying a new set since the old one was still perfectly fine.

This is how they look after dying them with the usual procedure which has worked other times.

(Ignore the play button, it’s not real)

This is how they should look

(Pics courtesy of @Venom121212 )

5 Likes

well too late for me

3 Likes

Yes. They are also relatively cheap, light, and solid performers. Make a version that can hold tire weights for balancing like @janpom innovated and make the finish glossy and I think you’d have a slam dunk. Especially with the material change helping tolerances.

9 Likes

Thanks for the response! Looks like the trucks were super loose before. I’m used to DKP’s, so I was able to handle them up to 25mph or so. The problem really was the amount of play around the center. At first I cranked them really tight, but the board became a train. Without strapping in there was no way I could do city steering. Now I loosened them and it seems like I’m nearing the goldilocks point. By the way - am I trading max tilt for stability when tightening?

1 Like

It also depends on your bushings. You can either have hard or soft ones. Not sure what kind of bushings are on your trucks. Soft bushings tend to be used for if your doing slow cruising or carving (turning really sharp). Hard bushings are for stability. Keep the trucks solid but hard to turn at the same time, in the end it’s personal preference. If you plan on going above 25. Recommend some more harder bushings. Better control since your going at a higher speed and less chance of speed wobble.

1 Like

I’m running medium (orange) blocks. Being a heavy guy (113kg) I don’t have much problem with harder bushings. Just pondering on harder bushings vs tighter medium bushings.

1 Like

Harder bushings right off the bat, putting them on will probably feel like the amount of times you tightened your medium bushings. Also have to take into consideration. Bushings can handle so much pressure when you tighten them. Over time, they start to get cracks from staying in that position for so long and getting compressed. Eventually they’ll break and well. We all know what happens after that, especially mid ride. Take a look at your bushings, if they look compressed. Might be better to do harder bushings

Heres a few examples of overtightening your bushings (just in case they look like this)

Just so we’re on the same page, I’m talking about MBS Matrix 2 trucks!

Yes, tightening does sacrifice a bit of max tilt. The Matrix II system does a good job of balancing that actually, but only to a point. You’ll notice just a little adjustment (say 1/4 turn) makes a noticeable difference, so just keep tweaking until you find your “just right”. You might already know this, but riding your back truck tighter and your front truck looser offers the best compromise between maximum turn and stability. Speed wobbles spawn from loose back trucks in my experience.

2 Likes

Oh, then I got no clue, assuming their the same principal :sweat_smile:

What kind of range, top speed and torque can I expect with a set-up like this?

I don’t understand how to add the gearing in the esk8 calculator.

Ubox vesc
13s6p 30Q
3ds Nano 1:2,6
6374 220 kV

1 Like

You can put the gearing in by just putting 1 for the motor pulley and 2.6 in the wheel pulley

What wheels?

1 Like

Thank you :heart:

It’s Abec 107

I’d expect somewhere between 13-15 wh/km consumption with average riding probably.

Est from me would be around 30 miles realistically riding comfortably

1 Like