Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Just the cells are like 36.6mm straight-stacked or 35.2mm offset-stacked. Stop there and you have an Evolve Carbon GT that only has room for cells and then you end up using prismatic packs that suck donkey balls instead of 18650 cells, because the shit doesn’t fit right

So in actual real life, add 0.25mm x 5 for fishpaper, 0.5mm x 2 for heatshrink, 1.75mm for balance wires, 1.25mm for tape and stuff, and 3mm x 2 for foam and stuff

So add 11.25mm to those thicknesses

2 Likes

…d00d…

take the engineering out of your user name and add some one like @Timmy or @b264 do all the hard work for me…

1 Like

are 18650s exactly 18.3?

the names ironic obvs…look at the profile pic :wink:

I just measured one that’s 18.20mm but they vary a little bit.

If their tiny variance throws off your design, then you didn’t leave enough room for foam and fishpaper and shit.

Fishpaper is 0.25mm thick and is sold at https://www.145ptags.com/

2 Likes

I enjoy watching peeps using maths, and expecting reality to equal the maths…

board camber? concave?
misc. craps…

sometimes ya just have to drop the girl panties and man up…

3 Likes

Yeah and I didn’t even touch this stuff here

2 Likes

I like the girl panties part

1 Like

my board’s concave is like this image

ya can’t always use maths to solve real world problems…

but mucho respect for the effort!

1 Like

the sniffing or the wearing…

1 Like

Sometimes asking someone who just made a battery and has all the shit laying on the workbench and a pair of digital calipers nearby, is the most efficient way

Sometimes the best engineers are lazy ones, because they find more efficient ways to do shit :rofl:

2 Likes

your right tit is bigger than the left

2 Likes

That’s called “W concave” in the downhill longboarding universe

In the esk8 universe you’d probably see an engineering drawing with exact dimensions :rofl:

3 Likes

Muchos respectos*

1 Like

point taken…

I’m lazy as fukk… and I hate doing things twice…

but when I get into a 3d cad program, even knowing all the numbers, I account for the unknown…

only experience will teach you what that unknown factor is,

2 Likes

I didn’t use math, I used digital calipers. They did the math for me

I also measured a couple real world batteries.

But if you have more information, more is always better. Not all batteries are made alike

1 Like

Also if you’re using offset stacks and you’re not applying the fishpaper between them with some force

then you need to leave even more space for a sloppy job because you WILL NOT get those P-packs that close together by hand

The fishpaper doesn’t like to bend like that

we agree

2 Likes

Can I reuse the middle part of the enclosure isolation foam stuff to cut out protective stripes for the battery?

Or would you recommend special stuff?