Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

How would I go about doing this?

I also didn’t mention my enclosure is made of aluminum, which is important

https://vesc-project.com/node/469

Or use a metr unit

Powering off the ESC clears faults, so avoid that.

2 Likes

i know a certain device that can help even if the vesc was power cycled :joy: but i always sounds like a salesperson, and u already know what it is Brian

Yes, of course :+1: they also have a Metr Pro CAN + SD card shield which will store logged faults even through power cycles.

But it’s not that hard to just not turn off the board though after an issue like that if you want to check. :crazy_face:

1 Like

i’ve had an incident where my board hit a curb and dislodge the batt connector (yes, it was my bad, i forgot the ziptie), but metr logging saved the fault before power went out :smirk: useful thing other than just telemetry

1 Like

I only forgot to ziptie the battery XT60 / XT90 twice before I learned my lesson :rofl:

Most of mine are just soldered in now with no connector at all, but the ones with connectors, they are ziptied except one board I think they’re tied together with twine in there.

2 Likes

it was a testing rig sort of thing that the enclosure is closed cell foam, wrap in duct tape, then attached to the board with even more tape. the batt connector was the only thing exposed in the air, so i can disconnect it if shit hits the fan

its gonna pour pretty hard outside tomorrow, so hopefully I’m able to trigger something in the hallway of my apartment building lol. Also, if the remote just disconnects for a second, would the vesc catch that in the faults?

No, but not having faults is also information beyond not knowing if there are faults.

What is your Fault Stop Time set at?

500ms? 85ms?

No idea. I just speedran the vesc setup because I wanted to test this thing out. I’ll check in the morning once I have access to my tools.

1 Like

That sounds like my torqueboards mini remote issue. That exact thing happened to me and my enclosure was fiberglass with the receiver placed in a different place since previously it was having issues near the battery area.

Almost killed me during my ride in the street.

1 Like

@kaly what are the durometers of your B-Dampers (the soft and medium ones)?

what remote are u using?

Fs vx1

1 Like

I used to have cutouts all time with my vx1 and turns out it had something to do with the potentiometer (the green thing) inside the remote. Every 4 or 5 months Ive had to take it out and let it soak in wd40 which took care of the cutouts

2 Likes

here

and here are my motor settings as they seem relevant here. Seems I messed them up

I’m using a puny 12s1p 30q pack on this board.

Raise “Absolute Maximum Current” to 150A or the maximum it will allow you to set it at. You won’t have any more problems.

2 Likes

Beat me to it. It’s limiting the overcurrent.

2 Likes

Ah alright. I thought that was the issue. Do you think the rest of my values are good for the pack?

The rest of the settings look okay for a 1P 30Q pack although I would lower “battery max” to 20A and raise “Motor Current Max” to something like 60A or more depending on what motor you have.