Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Hai,

there is a way to set cutoff strenght? I barely feel when it starts to cutoff start, want it much stronger. Any ideas? Didn’t found the answer.

10s
start 36v
end 32v

Narrow the gap between the numbers. Raise the lower number

But it will cut me earlier, before I want to.

1 Like

Right now there is not a way to adjust the cutoff curve in VESC.

It’s a good idea for a future feature though.

You’ve got my gears turning thinking about it.

3 Likes

No. Although, I’m not 100% sure why your cut off is 36v. Preference maybe? I usually put mine to where my battery can be safely discharged to and then give it +3v.

Noob here, trying to understand anti spark and loop keys. If I’m using a Xenith, which I believe has a built in anti spark switch, do I still need a loop key?

If the anti-spark system in the esc doesn’t break like it does on flipsky’s, no. If you want to safely turn on your esc without worrying whether the anti-spark system will break or not, use a loop key.

3 Likes

If the xenith AS doesn’t break, then it’s nothing wrong to have loopkey install. But when the AS break, then u r still safe because u have loopkey to turn it off

3 Likes

You can account for sag and set cutoffs at 28/29v and 33v. Just don’t discharge the board until it refuses to even move

1 Like

Don’t need one, but if you have plenty of space available it doesn’t hurt to have it built in already. Integrated antisparks tend to fail over time and the loopkey is a good backup option.
You can either use that permanently as the switch or use it as a backup until you fix/replace the switch

1 Like

Maybe someone has experienced this before, I had a nickle strip break. What would be the best way to go about fixing it?

Can someone who has a vx1 as well as a puck or the maytech dual trigger remote make some comparison pics?

2 Likes

I happen to have all three, what views would you want to see?

3 Likes

Primarily size comparison.

I have the VX1 and want to know how they compare to it.

next to each other, vx1 on top of maytech, vx1 on top of puck etc.

3 Likes

I grab some pics at lunch in a few mins

3 Likes

There ya go. What do you think? Personally I find the maytech the most comfortable, especially since I ride with full finger gloves

9 Likes

Thanks!

I like the Maytech from the look and the dual triggers (though i have never tested dual trigger before, i always like them from Evolve videos). It comes closest to the shape of what i have used the last 4 years.

Things i don’t like: Waterproofness… I have never gotten water anywhere near my remote, even under heavy rain and forcing me to carry a whole wireless charging pad is stupid.
The bulky receiver, the possible dropouts others have reported and i think the display/sensor integration was stupid?

The puck i like because it seems to be built really well, the metal wheel looks just awesome. I’m a fan of the strong singal it apparently has. Formfactor…i don’t know. I can see me not liking it as much as the mini or the Hobbywing/VX1 formfactor. Though maybe the custom sheels could solve that proble. I really like this one

grafik

Hard to say. I would love to test them both before pulling the trigger.

3 Likes

The cutoff is linear. If you want it to start stronger, you need to make the line steeper: Either raise the end voltage, or lower the start voltage.

The closer together they are, the steeper the cutoff will be. If you make them the same, the vesc will just shut off the second it reaches that voltage, so don’t do that.

The maytech one has a waterproof version available, it has esurf mode as one of the options

Also the wireless charging is perfectly fine, this remote lasts literally so long, I charge it like once a month. Granted I don’t ride an insane amount but I’ve never had a ride where I worried about it running out

I haven’t ridden with the puck yet, but it doesn’t have the light control options that I currently have and no screen. I also am not sure how comfortable it will be yet

1 Like

i get that they can’t please everyone but i’m not a fan of the shut design. What if you need to open it? Probably glued the hell out of it.

my long rides are usually about 3 hours long so with the puck i’d have to charge every 2 2/3 ride (according to their 8 hour claim)

luckily don’t need that

also not needed as i never had one, though it would be nice to not having to pull out my phone while riding.

1 Like