Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

There is no consensus, but I don’t use them

3 Likes

Higher the KV, the faster you go. The trade off is torque.

2 Likes

are idler gears with motor mounts necessary?

No motor temp readings for the last ride (turned on and off, still nothing)
Everything was perfect previously
If one sensor died, do I still get the readings from the other one? Because I don’t think it’s possible that both sensors died during the night
Or maybe it’s a common bug? Is there something I can check without disassembling, maybe something firmware related? (The board is waterproofed and the last thing I want is taking it apart)

Do I actually need those temp sensors if I don’t push it too hard? The biggest temp I’ve seen on my motors was something like 60c

MakerX DV6, Maytech 6374, fw 5.01 (FOC), Metr

Update:
Now it looks more strange for me
2 days ago - both readings
1 day ago - readings only on the top Metr graph
Today - no readings at all

I dont use a tempature sensor on my build so I don’t see anything wrong with not using it.

1 Like

@Trampa

Can you link me to your wheels with pulleys on your website (the pulley that goes on the wheel itself)? I cannot for the life of me understand your UI. I can’t search for it either due to a bug.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Appreciated.

Anyone knows what belt pulley size works for a 16T - 44T belt drive? I don’t think my 435mm will fit that.

As a general rule no, but it depends on your exact setup. If you’re running a small motor gear and a big wheel gear, and a short distance between them (which results in a low number of belt teeth in mesh on the motor gear), then an idler (or two) will increase the number of teeth in mesh, and thus transmit more power without slipping.

TLDR; you’re probably fine unless your belt is skipping.

3 Likes

Use this calculator. Pfeifer Industries :: Metric Timing Belts and Pulleys
Pick HTD, 5mm, and “Perform Calculations Using Known Ratio and Known Center to Center Distance”.

2 Likes

I’m going to be running a 15/40 gear ratio, but I read that some people use idlers all the time so it worried me but thanks

15/40 might be pushing it a hair. It depends on your center-to-center distance, as well as how tight you run the belts, and how much power you’re going to be transmitting.

With a good idler setup, you can run the belts very very loose and still avoid slipping.

1 Like

The center distance will be anywhere from 62mm to 78mm once i put together the drivetrain

any opinions on this for a top mounted battery case?

grafik

grafik

grafik

grafik

Looks hard to fit under the board.

9 Likes

oh Brian… Please don’t change.

6 Likes

You know I’m just ribbing you :rofl:

2 Likes

Of course :smiley:

The funniest part of it all, is that I use similar size boxes… under the deck.

:rofl:

“only” 80mm tall though

4 Likes