Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Yeah yeah I know, my T8 doesn’t have a clear face shield either, it can be really annoying when it starts getting dark…

2 Likes

On the common inexpensive BMS’s, there’s no way to cap the discharge voltage right?

Look through the app for the LLT Power 10S BMS I have, there’s no setting related to discharge voltage.

cheers thanks a ton
i got cycling goggles which are like large sunglasses made for this thing
think they should be ok
thanks a lot

also in the uk dusty isnt really i thing

That’s unusual. I assume you’re using the Xiaoxiang app (because that’s what most cheaper “smart” BMSs use), and it definitely does have an undervoltage protection setting.

That being said, if you’ve got the BMS bypassed for discharge (as most esk8 builders do), then that means that the BMS is no longer capable of shutting off the battery, even if the undervoltage condition is reached. This is why our ESCs themselves have adjustable battery settings instead.

1 Like

Hey guys,
I have an old 10s2p backfire battery laying around, i plan to use it for a cheap low power cruiser build.
I have no idea what cells they used, looks like some random chinese cells :

How much amps do you think i can pull from it ? 20 amps maybe ?

Since it’s backfire, it’s either an LG Chem or Samsung 20R , which both can produce 20amps. But it’s better to check it by a discharge charger to see what it can produce.

It could also be no name cells since backfire won’t always clarify which ones they use.

2 Likes

this kinda makes me excited again to use a vesc, even if it’s just theoretical speed until tested. On the other hand it makes me more nervous since i have to full throttle the board to test if the motor bug is gone.

1 Like

these are most likely no name cell, which board did u pull it from? anything older than G2T is highly likely chinese cells

Yeah it’s from one of the G2 galaxy from the indiegogo campaign, i got the board, that still runs fine, and this spare pack, that i almost never used.

1 Like

damn, that’s close to 4 years old now? i would suggest testing it carefully before depolying it in any board.

1 Like

IMO, that’s being very optimistic. I would assume 10A or less for now. Can you unwrap a cell and post good photos of the top, side, and bottom? That can help us, possibly, determine who makes the cell. Determining which cell specifically won’t be possible though.

Am I just tired or is that cell a little too squat looking to be an 18650?

3 Likes

3 years, but yeah, i’ll definitely test every cells, the pack voltage is still decent, but hard to tell how balanced it is.

@Battery_Mooch Unfortunattely i don’t have the tools to weld it back together if i do take the pack appart. Part of the cell is under the plastic guide, maybe it’s what make them look short ?
10A do seem a bit low, given the torque i had on the G2. Don’t get me wrong, it didn’t have much torque at all, but still, 10A do seem quite low, as it still could pull my ass up decently steep hills.

1 Like

Ahh…that would definitely make them look shorter. :grin:

There is just no way for us to even begin to estimate the current rating of those cells. You will have to decide yourself. I recommended starting at 10A since I must err on the side of caution. You can always assume a higher rating later. There’s no way any of us can responsibly give you high estimates for the current rating.

It sounds like you have already made up your mind though that they have a high rating, like 20A, and that you were just hoping we would agree? :grin:

You’re going to have to do some testing to see how they compare to other cells/packs you have used. Definitely check the voltage of each p-group before charging though. If any are below 2.5V then I recommend replacing the p-group.

1 Like

hey guys, been out of the esk8 space for a while, what are some good options in esc atm for 12s?

i have to replace a unity, so besides the obvious stormcore or xenith - do you see any single controllers worth looking at ?

Makerx go-foc dv6 is also a decent choice if u wanna be using v6 hardware

3 Likes

Well, if it do sound like that, that wasn’t my intention, sorry bout that. I’ll definitely take your advice and try with low settings at first, but 10A is kind of disapointingly low :sweat_smile:, even worse when you split it on a dual esc (5A/side :scream:).
I was just hoping someone would have had experience with a similar pack. I guess i’ll just have to try it and compare with how much torque i have on the G2.

1 Like

I have the same trucks and wheels on one of my boards I had to diitch the evolve pulley in favour of dickyho abec pulley. This combo will work.

is this also an option you would recommend ?

atleast i would only have to replace one side if something breaks :see_no_evil:

edit: im really planning on using 150A battery max distributed upon those 2 controllers, so thats kinda close to the 80A specification

1 Like

I second that they are rock solid…DV6 best ESC in that price bracket.

4 Likes