Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

i just did a test with a regular focbox also on 5.01 but that doesn’t cause the cracking sound.

1 Like

hate to break it to you but thats not an esk8, thats a geiger counter. Sounds like you’re in Chernobyl.

3 Likes

So is it an esc issue?

Seems like it but i don’t know why or how to fix it.

I flashed the no limits fw and normal one with the same result. Now trying the latest one.

Unfortunately, I don’t own a neobox. I’d probably run into something similar and see what I can do to fix it.

also happens with 5.02…

E: it does NOT happen with ackmaniac 3.103

E: i migh’ve solved it?

i started with 5.01, reinstalled 5.01, then went with 5.02 but the cracking still happened. Then i installed ack 3.103 and it didn’t crack. Now went back to 5.02 and its also gone.

I miss you Ack…

5 Likes

ok I got it, one more thing… Is it better to do it with the drive train (I mean belts and wheels on) or just the motor spinning by itself?

My experience has shown that it doesn’t actually matter if the drivetrain is connected, or not.

2 Likes

Are there any safety concerns switching the connector on a charger? (not plugged in, ofc)

Yeah, if you do a low quality job it can fail.

But generally, no issues with that. Make sure you get the polarity correct.

1 Like

ok cool, i was wondering if there could’ve been caps inside that popped if you cut both leads at the same time causing a short or something

Kinda what I thought, I think the open ones for a street set up would be functional for exactly what you said.

how do i go about to measure a dc barrel jack? 5.5x2.1 and 5.5x2.5 look too simliar and calipers doesn’t really fit in the hole

and no, i prefer not to mod the charge port because of aesthetic reason…for now

1 Like

I want to know that answer too.

1 Like

im gonna try this method when i get home tonight:

there is also a drill bit method, but i prefer not to stick anything metal into the jack even tho its not plug into the wall

3 Likes

Only if the positive and negatives are reversed. Other than that, no. And make sure the connectors don’t touch eachother.

1 Like

Digikey has a discourse server? :open_mouth:

1 Like

forum for “solutions to their engineering and component issues”
whatever that means, as long as they have useful info and its not ESB :rofl:

Me too. Usually I just try if the male fits into the female, and that’s it.
Although, I think my eyes got trained to tell the difference by looking at the positive in the center of the female, which is thinner in the case of the 2.1 variant.

1 Like

i would still prefer to have a close to 100% accurate method to measuring it, since 0.4 different is too small that even with two of them side by side, i probably can’t tell which is which

2 Likes