Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Why? Did they change the firmware to make it work? What is the exact problem?

1 Like

No it’s standard vesc firmware. v3.65 I believe but all sellers of this esc seem to say reverse and battery indicator function will be lost if you update the firmware. I’m not sure why that is though.

@Esk8supply why is that?

3 Likes

You must have read my mind…

2 Likes

that’s old…

2 Likes

I’d just make a stack of speed washers until it’s 11mm thick :rofl:

2 Likes

I knew those speed rings I ordered would come in handy :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah it’s a pretty old firmware version. I’m just really confused as to how a voltage reading being forwarded to a remote can be affected by the vesc firmware version. I’m hoping @esk8supply can explain.

Just for context I want to run a loaded/ ride unlimited hub motor which doesn’t have sensors.

Actually I think it’s v3.65

how are you checking the version?

1 Like

Going off memory. I’ll have to check my computer to see what version vesc tool I used for it.

Which remote / Esc is this? @Esk8supply seems to have a couple? are there docs for how the remote gets it’s voltage reading?

1 Like

That’s all the info I have on it.

hmm. some kind of integrated receiver. my guess would be they have a forked version of the firmware to work with it? but also claims to be ppm type.

but:

If you have 1.06 vesc tool, try that first due to the increased functions you will get.

did they mean vesc firmware or vesc tool. … what version do you currently have? hooking up vesc-tool to it should tell you in the firmware tab even if it doesn’t let you do anything else but upgrade.

but that numbers old for either. weird.

i look forward to the answer to that riddle.

1 Like

Found this at bound motor:

“Please do not upgrade the firmware, this version compatible with FW 3.65 only(VESC TOOL V1.29), otherwise, some functionality will be lost, such as speed mode switching and front-back direction switching.”

1 Like

It sounds like they are using modified firmware. If this is the case, it’s an easy fix. Just port their change into the new version.

@Esk8supply Where is the firmware source code that ships on the ESC?

3 Likes

oh oh… here we go… sally forth for science brother

Any way to extract the source code if I still have it on the vesc?

Nope; but good news, @Esk8supply is required by law to give it to you :smiley:

3 Likes