Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Hey @b264 what does the throttle expo mode do?
What’s the difference between Polynomial, Natural and Exponential?

Honestly we need a thread explaining every damn vesc tool settings :roll_eyes:
I don’t care if we shouldn’t change them, but I want to know what everything does and for what purpose :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

THIS

2 Likes

Tried, no one cares beyond doing the wizard and bumping the amps after tbh.
Polynomial is the lightest throttle curve, with natural in the middle and then exponential being the harshest. Setting them negative all do the same thing, turn low end throttle points mild and move all the power towards the end of the thumb wheel movement range.
At the same set value exponential can turn that line almost horizontally up while polynomial will be like 45° and natural somewhere in the middle
Very shit explanation:

Quickest way to figure it out is to go on vesc tool on pc and try all of them because you have a visual representation there that is damn good

6 Likes

I’m on my first belt drive build and having a few minor issues.

Firstly, how much ‘coercion’ does the motor pulley need to get over the key? See pic:

I pushed it on a bit then it got stuck. I thought I’d not put the key in properly so I hammered it back off. Now I can’t get the key out. Not sure if it’s meant to be super tight and I just give it a good whack?

Secondly the motor mount is about 1-2mm short of where it needs to be I think. It appears I have three options: 1, I take a grinder to the trucks so I can push the mounting bracket on a few more mm. 2, fiddle with the wheel pulley by cutting the inside of the wheel urethane to get the pulley on a few more mm. Or 3, remove the outer wheel bearing and replace with washers then I could put a few washers on the axel before putting the wheel on. Pic shows wheel pulley hitting the motor mount.

i hammered down my key using a skate tool :man_shrugging:t2: and light tap the pulley until its all the way in, i might be doing it wrong, but its been holding up for a year without movement

just stack washers before sliding the wheel on the axle, so the pulley isn’t touching the mount when tightening the axle nut

4 Likes

Ok. Good to know :+1:

I can’t do this unless I remove the outer wheel bearing as there isn’t enough axel left for the wheel nut.

what hanger, mount and pulley are those? seems like u have tb110? the wheel core width hasn’t change on that, so most likely the other 3 isn’t compatible with one another

They are 90mm TB wheels with Abec core, 40T TB wheel pulley, 180mm TB trucks, with older version of TB motor mount. This mount:

didn’t that mount require 218mm truck? @torqueboards Dex we need ur help here

You’re probably right. Does the wheel need its outer bearing in? If i find a washer the same diameter as the bearing then the nut will have something to tighten on, then I can add a few washers on the axel to move the wheel pulley the few mm I need. Or this not a good idea for some reason?

yes, its absolutely needed for esk8.

the washer will rotate with the wheel, which will loosen ur axle nut after awhile, then ur wheel will fly off.

2 Likes

Yep that’s a good enough reason lol. I’ll try acquire the few mm I need by mucking around with the wheel pulley on the wheel. It’s only a single drive so at least there’s only one side to muck around with!

Thanks for your help!

Anyone know what’s causing this? https://drive.google.com/file/d/19D86fxtMmLvvsFlSI17lvcQ_GAzslm2w/view?usp=drivesdk

There’s a red light blinking on the esc too

Magically started working after I disassembled everything and reassembled it hmm

have you tried checking for faults in the vesc app? In my experience, red lights on the esc usually means some fault

or not enough voltage lol

Will a 3s lipo work to test a 4.12 ESC?

Anyone know if MBS Rockstar II Hubs unofficially support 6.5" Trampa tires like the urban threads? Trampa has shit quality control and my Superstars are all wobbly as fuck or even out of centre entirely. I’m worried it will destroy my wheel gear on the Moon drives in the long run.

This is excellent. Bookmarked, thank you.

2 Likes

I dont have a specific suggestion (the box I was going to suggest is not quite big enough), but I want to drop this here for yall:

It’s an excellent calculator that really helps with planning out the available space in a top box for brick-shaped batteries, such as for eMTB’s.

There’s also this calculator:

Which is awesome for planning out flat packs :slight_smile:

Be sure to read all the instructions for both calculators.

2 Likes