Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

dont have a router so was planning on using a dremel
(dunno if you can call that routing)

im pretty light but is there any chance it will take away from the structural integrity of the deck
also is 5-7mm on either sied to much?

1 Like

tbh i dont know 100% , but ive read somewher here that if you dont route all the way to the edges you’ll be ok. the fact you’re light is definitely on your side

4 Likes

yep nice
wont be routing all the way to the edges as just need down the middle

1 Like

I would remove the +5 and GND wire if it’s two ESC. There is a quirk if one ESC is powered off it can blow you canbus transceivers.

1 Like

Do the new flipsky 6384 motors have a good rep? I just found out anubis has them in stock, so I might jump on that instead of the SK3 6374. (It’s for a 1WD build, I need reliability)

EDIT: Just found out that they are 140kv… Would mean a more reasonable gear ratio is possible to achieve the top speed I want… Any disadvantage to 140kv compared to 190kv?

I’d it’s only a few mm why not just get neoprene rubber foam like 5mm or something will be like £10-15 quid and you don’t have to mess around with the board ?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s 2 single ESC’s - 1 per motor.

so you’re saying i have to not plug in the hall sensors from the motors? (im assuming this because GND covers the hall sensors). And the +5 im not familiar with, which connector is that?

Ultimately I don’t need to do anything clever with this, just daisy-chain these ESC’s together to use on a street build (…presumably they do need to be connected if im using Bluetooth…?), but the extra components needed to do this is stacking up (and as they say less components=less opportunity of failure). Is it this finicky with the Trampa VESC’s (the single ones), or is the design on these unusual? (it’s my first build so im not aware of whats normal)

I thought you were talking about canbus cable. For the terminator I think it was T and GND. +5 is used by hall circuit.

Maybe i am talking aboutt he Canbus cable if that’s what connects 2 single ESC’s together? just wanted to know if this will work https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/product/male-jst-gh-1-25-4-pin-connectors-to-jst-gh-1-25-4-pin-connectors-cable-pack-of-5/?v=79cba1185463 - but you seem to say it’s risky to use?
sorry, am not familiar with the terminal names you mention (T and GND etc)

the cable i linked looks quite different to this one

Safe if you use only the Can hi and Can low pins that’s the two in the middle. Like the torqueboard can cable.

1 Like

so the TB ones i showed above are what is safe and will prvent the ESC from blowing the canbus receivers? and they go in CAN here -

Yes or I use a AliExpress cable with wires 1 and 4 cut away.

1 Like

ahh, so i can use these

i just need to cut off the end cables leaving the 2 middle ones?

I would definitely choose the Flipsky 6384 over an sk3 6374 for a single drive.

However, 140Kv really sucks, I’d go 190Kv to 210Kv for sure.

3 Likes

You need the 2mm jst connectors. 1.25 is on some newer escs but not the standard.

How much does 140kv suck? Doesn’t the motor have the same torque (with less amps), just less speed? It would mean I could use 20/44 instead of 15/44 so way less chance for belt skipping. Do you know how the motor’s resistance differs between 140 and the 190kv version?

1 Like

@Geo_Engineering_FTW do you know if a super stiff pack would work ina hummie build
long pieces of nickel for serial conenctions
double stacked nickel going over 6 cells

1 Like

I second that I bought 2x FS 140kv for my 16s build but was underwelmed by their performance. I went back to using a old pair of flipsky 6384s 190kv more torque and more speed also handle the higher voltages better.

2 Likes

I believe mine are 1.25

1 Like

that kind knowledge is above my paygrade, perhaps @Athrx might know, or even @tinp123

(tinp built my battery)

2 Likes